Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fize Size

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
johollin
238 Views, 4 Replies

Fize Size

Hi,

My company is considering switching from ACAD to Revit MEP for our design. Currently our file sizes vary between 1MB and 5MB (that's really high for us). I was curious as to the size of a typical Revit MEP file. We are in the process of ordering new internet service and want to plan our bandwidth accordingly in case we decide to switch to Revit in the near future. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
joefields
in reply to: johollin

Hello,

It sounds like your typical Revit file can range from 20-30MB on the low end, up to 75-100MB for larger projects. Low end for example is a 4500 sq. ft. classroom building we did. I did make a small model of part of a central utility plant we were installing a new surge tank in and that was 8MB just for some pipes, pumps, and a few walls. Keep in mind that those larger projects are about 75-100MB per file (i.e. MEP, Arch, Struct). Plan to use an ftp site or send CDs to/from clients if want to dive into the Revit pool. A decent internet connection can't hurt either.

Hope that helps,
Joe
Joe Fields PE, LEED AP BD+C
Mechanical Engineer and C# Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5
Scott_Womack

Please note, there is a fundimental difference in the file sizes between ACAD and Revit. The Autocad files containe only one to 4 drawings each (as an avaerage) The Revit MEP file could contain all of the drawings you do in Revit. There for you have to look at the file sizes of ALL of the AutoCAD files for a project versus the size of the Revit File.

Scott Womack
Message 4 of 5
johollin

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am not familiar with Revit. With AutoCAD, we have a CAD file for every physical drawing that we want to print. With Revit, we would all be working off a similar file, correct? What I have heard is that overall job file size will remain almost the same. Total files will be reduced and file size will increase.

Believe me, it's hard enough for me to understand, but to try and explain it to the owners of the company is even worse.
Message 5 of 5
jayspot

You are correct, you'd essentially be working on the same file.

Here is a good comparison (I think). In a project I am working on, the MEP Revit model is 48MB, the (linked) Architectural model is 72MB, and the (linked) Structural model is 34MB. I exported all of the MEP sheets and floor plans and the total size of these files is right at 20MB.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report