Revit MEP

Valued Contributor
lsop1409
Message 1 of 2 (140 Views)
Accepted Solution

Family Template Clarification

140 Views, 1 Replies
03-04-2014 06:26 AM

When creating Mechanical and Electrical families can somebody please clarify the best templates to use:

i.e. Ceiling based, wall based, generic model face based and fire alarm hosted.

as i think i remember reading somewhere that using certain templates will not allow you to 'host' or 'attach' to a linked model.

Has anybody had a problem when using for example, a face or wall based family when the Architect has updated their model and moved walls or ceilings? or would it be better using 'free floating' (unhosted) families for mech and elec families?

For MEP families, the recommended options are :

1) a family that starts with the templates that don't have the name of the host in it, in which you activate the "work-plane based" setting. In the project, this family will give you the option of placement on face or on workplane. 

2) a family that starts with a template named as face-based. In the project, this family will give you the option of placement on face, on vertical face, or on workplane.

Not recommended are:

1) Ceiling-based template

2) Wall-based template

Why are these not recommended? Because in MEP work most of the times you are not in charge of modeling the walls nor the ceilings, but you work with a linked model from the architect. When a family is looking for a host, the family does not recognize walls and ceilings inside a link as walls and ceilings, but as faces.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 2 (123 Views)

Re: Family Template Clarification

03-04-2014 08:24 AM in reply to: lsop1409

For MEP families, the recommended options are :

1) a family that starts with the templates that don't have the name of the host in it, in which you activate the "work-plane based" setting. In the project, this family will give you the option of placement on face or on workplane. 

2) a family that starts with a template named as face-based. In the project, this family will give you the option of placement on face, on vertical face, or on workplane.

Not recommended are:

1) Ceiling-based template

2) Wall-based template

Why are these not recommended? Because in MEP work most of the times you are not in charge of modeling the walls nor the ceilings, but you work with a linked model from the architect. When a family is looking for a host, the family does not recognize walls and ceilings inside a link as walls and ceilings, but as faces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.