Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Parameters

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
201 Views, 4 Replies

Family Parameters

I haven't been able to find this information in the Revit MEP help files, mostly because it seems like they were just copied from the Revit Architecture help files and not everything was able to be updated properly.

When creating families, in Family Category and Parameters, what do each of the settings do to the model? I know what Always vertical does but I am mostly interested in what each setting under Behavior Type and Part Type do to the family and how it reacts to it's systems, pipes, ducts, etc.

Also, does the Family Category affect anything else about the model other than it's category? I am mostly curious because we have things that could be considered equipment but also could be an accessory.

I am sure it would also be helpful for the electrical guys if the Family Parameters for their stuff was explained.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The only part I can answer is the what is affected by Family Catagory (Since I am an Architect). This affects what default parameters might appear in the family. A door has a different set of default reference planes, parameters, etc. in it, than does a Generic Family, or a specialty equipment family. Also, some catagories of families can be cut in section, and others cannot. They'll always show in elevation, no matter what you do. That is why you sometimes need to nest a Generic Family within a specialty equipment family. Generic families will be cut, and Specialy Equipment cannot. By nesting, the generic will be cut within the Specialty equipment catagory, thus achieving the behavior you want.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Just in case it is unclear what I am talking about, here is a picture of the dialog box I am talking about. We really need some clarification from Autodesk on what these settings will do as the Revit MEP documentation in this area is non existent. We mostly need to know what each of the options under "Behavior Type" and "Part Type" do.

Thanks,
Joe
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Go here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=9318638

Scroll down to the bottom and you will find the Revit MEP 2008 Family Editor Tutorials. The information you have requested can be found there.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

That is about what I was looking for. Why they couldn't have included this in the stock documentation, I do not know. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report