Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Creation - Type Tables?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
bschottke
301 Views, 2 Replies

Family Creation - Type Tables?

Hi Everyone,
A typical family for me (Fire Protection Manufacturer) will be a piece of equipment, say an alarm check valve. There may be up to 12 types. There are 20 to 30 parameters. Is there any benifit choosing to do this with a type table, as opposed to creating each type within the Family Type editor?

Also, when I do use a type table, the only way I've found to get that data to load into the family type editor is to load the family into a project, then edit the family. Is there an easier way to get the parameters into the family type editor?

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
davidvs
in reply to: bschottke

From what I've heard, generally speaking if you have more than about 8 types, you should use a Type Catalog (what I presume you've been calling "type tables").

Type catalogs are comma-delimited text files that follow a specific format (see Revit Help or use someone else's as a guide). To work when loading the family into a project, the type catalog file must have the same file name as the family file, but have the .TXT extension.

We have our "master" type catalog files actually named .CSV, which allows us to double-click on them and load them into Excel. When done making changes in Excel, we save them back to CSV files then copy them to .TXT and then test them by loading the family into a Revit project.

There are several significant benefits to using type catalogs:
1) They provide users with a "data preview" before loading anything into their project
2) The type selection dialog seen when loading a family has a filter tool, so the users can reduce the list of choices very quickly
3) Users may load *only* the specific types they want into their project, instead of bogging down their project with loading all types possible
4) Changing type definitions (e.g. using Excel) is very fast and easy for you

The easiest way I know of to embed the types you've defined in your type catalog into the family file is to do as you describe: Load the family into a project (selecting all defined types in the resulting type catalog dialog that appears so all types get loaded into the project), place an instance of one of the types, then "Edit Family" on it and re-save it from the resulting Family Editor version to a new family file.

Just be sure all the types in the list turn black (showing they're selected) on the type catalog dialog that appears when loading the family before clicking OK.

A tip about type catalogs: The Model field in the family MUST have some existing text in it in the original family file in order to get the model text from the type catalog to load into that parameter. It's a small bug in Revit, at least as of the 2009 version.

Also, you don't have to put all parameters into your type catalog...only those that change between types. For example, if your family only comes in one voltage, you could put that voltage value in the family file and not add a column for it in the type catalog, and all types would automatically inherit the base voltage value.

Best of luck.
Message 3 of 3
bschottke
in reply to: bschottke

Thank you. Thats a great description. I appreciate your time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report