Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fahrenheit - Celsius Conversion

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
revitese
1677 Views, 9 Replies

Fahrenheit - Celsius Conversion

I am trying to make a range hood schedule that gives a temperature rise (∆T) in both degrees Fahrenheit and Celsius. There is only one parameter in the family (I am using Output Temperature_ese) that is in units of Fahrenheit, so I have put a calculated value column into the schedule.

My problem is that when I divide the Fahrenheit value by 1.8 to get the same temperature interval in Celsius, the answer is not correct. When I put in 100 degrees F, I should be able to get 55.5555555 degrees C, but this does not happen. It gives a value of -149.

I am temporarily ignoring the fact that the units will not be correct if I simply divide by 1.8 to do the conversion. If anyone can help me get 100 F into 55.55555 C I will be very grateful.

Revit 2014
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitese

Temperature in Revit is not that simple; refer to >this thread< for more information. You are likely best off using unitless values from what I gather.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
revitese
in reply to: CoreyDaun

That's what I had feared. Thanks.

Revit 2014
Message 4 of 10
revitese

I have tried to make my own conversion by using this equation:

Temperature Rise (Celsius) = Output Temperature_ese * 1 °C / 1.8 °F

where Output Temperature_ese is the °F parameter to be converted into °C.

The result, bizarrely, is 59.33863523...

Revit 2014
Message 5 of 10
CoreyDaun

Adding the +0°F "normalizes" the formula (as the the referenced thread) but that doesn't work once multiplication/division in brought into the picture.

Are you including the alternate °C reading for Scheduling/Tagging in the Project? If so, you are much better off adding an extra Label (Tags) or an extra Field (Calculated Value in Schedules) and then changing the format to report in Celsius.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 10
revitese

The calculated value is in the schedule and is coming up with incorrect results.

Revit 2014
Message 7 of 10
sforsberg215

100 F is 37.8 C

--
Sincerely
Scott E Forsberg
C: 651-408-5438
H: 651-405-8720

"Life doesn't get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more
resilient."
-- Steve Maraboli
Message 8 of 10
CoreyDaun

What I meant by mentioning "Calculated Value" above, is to basically use that as a duplicate Field and then change the Field Formatting to display the value in Celsius. The formula for this Calculated Value should just be equal to your normal Temperature Parameter.

Message 9 of 10
revitese

A solution was reached by making the following calculated value:

Temperature rise = Output Temperature_ese - 0°F + 32°F

This converts a temperature interval of 100°F to 55°C, what it should be.

Revit cannot use relative temperature scales, only absolute ones. In Celsius and Fahrenheit, 0 degrees does not mean 0 temperature.

Revit 2014
Message 10 of 10
sforsberg215

I do not have a solution to the problem. However, 100 degrees Fahrenheit
does not equal 55 degrees Celsius.

95F = 35C

So: degree F - 32 X 5/9 = degree C

--
Sincerely
Scott E Forsberg
C: 651-408-5438
H: 651-405-8720

"Life doesn't get easier or more forgiving, we get stronger and more
resilient."
-- Steve Maraboli

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report