Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export from Revit To CAD

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
aqabawy
714 Views, 3 Replies

Export from Revit To CAD

Dear all,

I need some help to know how to export my Revit model to CAD drawings.

first problem, I want to export each group of families under mechanical equipment category to be on separate layer and i need the lines inside block to be in layer 0.

for example if I have two families pumps and chiller under mechanical equipment category, I need to export it to two layers (M-EQPT-PUMP &M-EQPT-CHILL), and if I open the block from inside I need all lines to be on layer 0.

for your information I insert my company standard CAD block into the family as detail component, and I create subcategory and define this subcategory layer in export setting to 0 layer, when I open the CAD drawings I find all blocks under same category take the one layer name, and if I open the block, I found lines on layer 0. i think this way works with lines inside  block but it dosen't work with the block itself. 

second problem, I want to control the exported CAD block name, I need to export it with my company CAD block naming standard not with family name.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: aqabawy

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

aqabawy wrote:

"first problem, I want to export each group of families under mechanical equipment category to be on separate layer and i need the lines inside block to be in layer 0.

for example if I have two families pumps and chiller under mechanical equipment category, I need to export it to two layers (M-EQPT-PUMP &M-EQPT-CHILL), and if I open the block from inside I need all lines to be on layer 0.

for your information I insert my company standard CAD block into the family as detail component, and I create subcategory and define this subcategory layer in export setting to 0 layer, when I open the CAD drawings I find all blocks under same category take the one layer name, and if I open the block, I found lines on layer 0. i think this way works with lines inside  block but it dosen't work with the block itself."

Unfortunately, I don't see a good way to accomplish this (placing Families on separate Layers); the only means I can come up with is to place each different Element of each Family on a dedicated Workset and use that Workset as a Layer Modifier for the Mechanical Equipment Category. It's not practical.

What you are doing with the Subcategories is the best you can do, and that aspect seems to work, at least.

aqabawy wrote:

"second problem, I want to control the exported CAD block name, I need to export it with my company CAD block naming standard not with family name."

There is no way to control the exported Block Names - it is Family Name, [dash], Type Name, [dash], View Name.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
aqabawy
in reply to: CoreyDaun

thank you very much for your response.

I think this is an insufficiency in Revit, it should give me ability to export with the layer and block name as I need.

Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: aqabawy

If this is a troubling issue for you, I suggest using the link below (which is frequently supplied by Autodesk Personnel here) to submit your feedback directly to the Development Team. Elaborate and provide details and even examples (if possible) to strengthen your reasoning.

Autodesk Product Support

The following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report