Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

excuse me for very newbie question . . . it doesn't create circuit propertly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
amg.monaco
2041 Views, 6 Replies

excuse me for very newbie question . . . it doesn't create circuit propertly

i gathered all templates.. Electrical, Mechanic, Pipe. ..

but it seems doesn't create power circuit properly.

it result dash line when i connected between lightings, panel and switch.

but when i chenck by using "check circuit", it apear to be " circuit is not assigned to a panel "

and even edit wiring mode is not activated.

please help me

thankyou . .draw list.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SteveKStafford
in reply to: amg.monaco

Creating circuits is a child to parent relationship that repeats several times for a complete circuit. For example a duplex receptacle (child) connects to a panel (parent). The panel (child) connects to another panel (parent). The panel (child) connects to a transformer (parent). A transformer (child) connects to another panel (parent).

When you create a circuit you are working from child to parent, never parent to child. This means if you select a panel and click the Power button, to create a power circuit, Revit expects you to select the source of the power for this panel. It is a common misconception that we can start at a panel and assign receptacles, lighting or other devices to it. We can't. Revit is always looking UP from the child up to the parent electrical relationship.

When you use Check Circuits Revit is only looking for components that have not been assigned to a circuit yet. If a duplex is reporting as unconnected then it has not been associated with a panel yet. Receptacles cannot be assigned to a panel until the panel as been assigned a Distribution System.

Order of basic operations:

• Place receptacles, lighting etc.
  • Place panels and transformers
  • Assign distribution systems to panels (remember a transformer has a secondary that must also be assigned, via properties palette)
  • Select receptacles, create power system, assign to a panel
  • Select panels, create power system, assign to other panels/transformers
  • Place wiring annotation as required (wiring is not "real", it is only annotation, we don't use wiring to create circuits, we use them to show desired routing)
  • Place tags to identify circuits, panel names, lighting types etc.
  • Create panel schedules to arrange and check circuiting loads and decisions
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 7
amg.monaco
in reply to: SteveKStafford

thankyou steve that is very helpful
and transformer voltage are not match to pannel and appliance that exist in the reference family can its voltage be modified?
Message 4 of 7
SteveKStafford

Yes the electrical requirements of panels and transformers can be changed. They are assigned at the connector in each family. Some are assigned to instance parameters which makes it easier to change once they are in the project but many more are type parameters which require a new type to change them.

A project must also have Voltage Definitions and Distribution Systems defined that provide the electrical conditions you intend to use. If these are not ready then you can't assign panels and transformers to a distribution system which in turn prevents you from creating circuits, electrical relationships between elements.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 7
amg.monaco

Thankyou for your kind explain
but i am sorry bit confused wether automatic circuit connects appliance and transformer and panels ? no matter what it possess any voltage?
and then i can update voltage of distribution system?
Message 6 of 7
SteveKStafford

Well my first attempt to reply failed when the forum wouldn't permit me to attach a sample file. I've made a sample file AVAILABLE HERE instead (it is a Revit 2015 file). The file (images attached show what is in the file) just shows basic electrical relationships between duplex outlets and lighting fixtures, their panels, the panels and transformers and finally the transformers to a main distribution panel. The file is based on the stock imperial electrical template that Autodesk provides. Either the imperial or electrical templates are a reasonable place to start getting acquainted because the components that are loaded already should work together as long as you assign distribution systems to each component correctly.

The electrical relationships begin at the devices and work "up" toward their source of electricity.

You can customize the voltage setting for families but it varies from family to family. In some cases they are assigned a voltage within the family (via its connector) and you must edit the family to change it. The MEPVoltDist02 image attached shows a panel family that Voltage is assigned and only editable within the family. Other families have associated the voltage with a parameter that will allow you to change it from within its properties while using it in the project. If you select a family and the voltage parameter isn't available in the Properties Palette or Type Properties dialog then it can only be changed in the family itself.

If a family is assigned 480 VAC then it cannot be associated with a different Distribution System without revising its voltage first. Therefore our electrical component library must be configured to support the kinds of work we usually do.

Message 7 of 7
Trevang

I am new to Revit, and your explanation was very helpful as the electrical side of things has been one of the harder functions to grasp. thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report