Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entire Pipe System Material Change

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
haggis102
4522 Views, 7 Replies

Entire Pipe System Material Change

Hi there! A little help please!

I've been using revit to co-ordinate a large scale project and have reached the half way mark when the client has decided to change the material supplier which has changed the entire pipe system sizes!

The project heating system was originally to be installed in mapress carbon steel which uses metric copper sizes ie 15, 22, 28, 35 and so on but now they would like to install in traditional mild steel which uses 20, 25, 32, 40, 50 etc so i need to change the entire system over!

Is there a way to change an entire metric system to imperial?

If I highlight the entire system I can filter out the pipe and I can change it to steel but it keeps the metric sizes and if I edit the fitting families sizes it wants to put in reducers all over the place to suit the pipe sizes which pushes the pipework about and has an effect on the constraints!

The problem is that it appears I can only change the pipework or the fittings one at a time and either way the system pushes in a number of reducers.

If I could change the fittings and pipe at the same time I know that there wouldn't be a problem!

Alternatively, is there a way for me to set my pipe tags to note a 22mm pipe as a 20mm pipe! and a 28mm pipe as a 25mm pipe etc etc.

I hope I've managed to explain what I mean and would really appreciate some help!

Cheers,

Haggis

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Just wondering why you are wanting to go from metric to imperial? If you are working on a metric project then the project units are metric globally.

If using steel - they are sold in metric sizes (although still referred to by plumbers in imperial sizes) so can't see why imperial is so important. Also - if you look at the actual metric size and the imperial size in mm, the differenc is a couple of millimetres so not really a huge deal.

If you need imperial then create a separate parameter and tag to incorporate imperial sizes. If you need a new pipe type, create the pipe in the Mechanical Settigns and assign the required sizes. If you are using 2012 - check out the UK pipe template.

As for changing the type - in 2012 you can do this globally by selecting the system and a contextual panel will appear in the ribbon

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
embolisim
in reply to: haggis102

What version are you using?

In 20l2 you can change the size of pipe & fittings together, I've been doing it today.

The process will still be a bit laborious though, as you can only change one size at a time.

I would;

add the steel sizes to the mapress pipe size table,

then change everything to steel sizes, including fittings, in bite sized sections.

then select all the pipe & change it to the steel pipe type.

Do you ned to change the fittings? Or are you using generic ones.

Also, I know Blucher Australia were lookng at getting their own Revit content made, do you know if anything came of it?

I pushed them quite hard on the subject when we designed a meatworks that had their product spec'd throught.

Cheers.

Message 4 of 8
embolisim
in reply to: embolisim

@julian it's just his terminology I think. Steel pipe sold in 'metric' sizes is the same size as imperial pipe. The point is that its a different sizing system to mapres, which is a tube system & works of OD sizing like copper.

Message 5 of 8

@embolisim - yeah hoping it is just terminology. Was really just trying to point out that sometimes users get too bogged down in details like this - having imperial and metric pipes in the same. In the UK you can still get imperial sized pipes as well as metric and they do differ slightly.

Thanks for advice on Mapress - came across them before and they are one of several crimp systems for copper/stainless/carbon steel tubes.

ADSK were good enough to create a UK pipe template for 2012 which had many of our commonly used pipe systems set up so that may help @Haggis, providing he is on 2012

Thank you!
Message 6 of 8
haggis102

Apologies guys I’ve been away for a few days and only just managed to see your posts

Emb’s correct my terminology was off! I would like to basically change from copper od. sizes to steel od. sizes  ie. 22mm to 20mm. Sorry for the confusion.

Although the size difference is negligible it’s purely to keep our co-ordination drawings in line with the consultants drawings.

I am on 2012 and have created a Mapress fitting library by duplicating the generic fittings and modifying the parameter lengths of the sockets, bend radius’s etc in a new lookup table and also creating new pipe systems/sizes in the Mechanical Settings Panel.

I have since noticed like you mentioned that in 2012 fitting and pipe sizes can be together so long as all the accessories are not visible but as you mention this can be a bit laborious. However this does work and is probably the best solution to my problem.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 8
alsavi

How did you manage to change the entire pipe system material? I need the pipes and duct to be white for the render because all is supose to be paint after the instalation and biside the hassel of doing it manually some duct fittings can be painted!

Regards, 

Message 8 of 8
julianjameson8403
in reply to: alsavi

Easiest and quickest way would be to duplicate the piping and duct systems then apply a new material globally to the system.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report