Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency Light Filled region

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
SAicieng
7022 Views, 10 Replies

Emergency Light Filled region

Hi, I'm a Revit noob and I've been searching for solutions to my problem but can't seem to find something that works for me. I'm using an OOTB recessed light fixture - two ballast and trying to create a filled region to designate an emergency light that would be controlled by a yes/no parameter. However there is no option to create a filled region. I've found a thread that suggested making a solid form that extruded 1/16" but that didn't seem to work. I was able to make an outlet that had different filled regions to distinguish between GFCI, Emergency and Isolated ground with the yes/no parameter and that works like a charm...if only I can do that with the lights.

Any help or suggestion would be great!!!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DMaurer-Veca
in reply to: SAicieng

I used the attached instructions to build the hatching region for emergency fixtures. It flexes with the different fixture sizes (2x4 or 2x2) but I haven't figured out the on/off perameter (which would be nice). Good luck

Diane M
Message 3 of 11
dtiemeyer

If you create a detail item that is a solid fill with the 90 degree corner of the triangle at the intersection of the reference planes, this item can be loaded into your light fixture family and the 2 necessary edges can be locked to the two sides of your light fixture. then link it to a yes/no parameter.

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 4 of 11
SAicieng
in reply to: dtiemeyer

Thanks for your help! I ended up creating the detail item of the filled region and made parameters for the length and width. Then I brought that into the fixture family and set the filled region values to the fixtures length and width and made the yes/no parameter. Works like a charm! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
SAicieng
in reply to: DMaurer-Veca

@DMaurer-Veca wrote:

I used the attached instructions to build the hatching region for emergency fixtures. It flexes with the different fixture sizes (2x4 or 2x2) but I haven't figured out the on/off perameter (which would be nice). Good luck

When you bring in the hatch region, select it and uncheck the Visible box (unless you want the default hatch ) and click on the little box next to that. Add an instance parameter (I called mine EM Light) and load back into your project. In the properties there will be an "EM Light" box to check/uncheck. Hope this helps. Oh and this is for Revit 2013.

Message 6 of 11
tnealey
in reply to: DMaurer-Veca

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was trying to do the exact same thing in MEP 2015. I used the same PDF that you posted and was able to get the shaded region to turn on and off but I can't get the shaded region to update when I update the size of the fixture. When I change the fixture from 2x4 to 2x2, the box of the fixture changes size but the hatch is still 2x4. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Message 7 of 11
dtiemeyer
in reply to: tnealey

The only difference I can see between your and mine (working) is that I have parameters within my solid fill within the detail item. Perhaps this is the trick. I dont really remember, I made them years ago. Hope this helps, I've included an image and our Detail Item.

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 8 of 11
Mahmoud.Ziedan

Dear,

The first rule to know in creating families is, you cannot create hatch in Generic Model Families or 3D families. I mean 2D hatches not 3D.

You have more than the option to get your need. You can create a 2D detail component family where you can create your hatch family and then load your family into the main family where the lighting exists. This process is named nesting families. You can link parameters between both families, in which you can solve the issue of yes/no parameter.

The second option is to assign the hatch to the 3D face.but I think the first is the better option.

You found a post helpful? Then feel free to give likes to these posts!
Your question got successfully answered? Then just click on the 'Mark as solution' button.

src="https://autodesk.widen.net/content/fbz0l2onhe/png/autodesk-expert-elite-forum-signature-logo.png" >
Mahmoud Zeidan
BIM Manager/Mechanical Engineer
Message 9 of 11

I'm having a similar issue with a Detail Item (solid hatch) nested into a Light Family.  The images show the problem.  

Image 1: Left is the Detail Item loaded directly in and Right is the Detail Item nested into a light family.  The solid fill does not show in 'Hidden Line' mode.  Only in wireframe. (Image 2 shows the same condition in Wireframe view mode)

How can I have the nested detail component display correctly in Hidden Line mode.

Message 10 of 11
stever66
in reply to: lukekvasnicka

Select the fill area in the light fixture family and make sure "draw in foreground" is checked.

If that doesn't work, try moving the fill area above or below the light.

Message 11 of 11
lukekvasnicka
in reply to: stever66

For those experiencing a similar issue here is how I solved the problem.  I wanted to only see the Detail Component family nested within the light family and not the actual model elements.  In order to achieve this, you need to make sure the elements are checked 'Visible' under Properties>Graphics.  Then with the element selected use the 'Visibility Settings' to hide the model elements by view.  

I'm not sure why this work but this was the solution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report