Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elements have duplicate 'Mark' values

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
pverduzco
37718 Views, 13 Replies

Elements have duplicate 'Mark' values

What does this mean? my Revit model is very slow and I have many of these warnings. Not sure what it is specifically. I click show and see a fitting that looks good but its highlighted so there is obvioulsy something going on there.

Revit MEP 2012

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
CoreyDaun
in reply to: pverduzco

Every time an element is placed in a project, it is assigned a unique Mark value. This parameter is visible under Properties when any element is selected. In many instances, people will use this parameter for scheduling purposes and end up with a consistent Mark parameter, thus causing this issue. You should be able to identify these through the Warnings tool located on the Manage tab.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 14

Create schedules of the element categories with these warnings and ensuring that the schedule contains the mark field and sorting by the "Mark" field. This will easily show the duplicate elements.

You can either re-number manually which takes ages or you obtain an element renumber add-in from the internet for free which will do this for you.

This is a relatviely minor warning which should have minimal impact on your model. You may have other more importnat warnings to deal with which slows Revit down or more likely - you have a fair amount of piped systems in your model which natural slows it down big time.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 4 of 14
Sandleaz

What does this mean? my Revit model is very slow and I have many of these warnings.

What it means is that the REVIT programmers are so smart that they will give you a warning if you want to have different elements with the same values in the parameter "Mark".  AHU-1 and VAV-1 cannot coexist they warn you, so please heed their warnings because they know what they're doing and you don't.  

Is your REVIT model slow because your computer cannot handle REVIT or because you have a massive 300 MB file?  

Message 5 of 14
pverduzco
in reply to: Sandleaz

The model was split into 3 models to reduce the size, each one is about 60MB. This project started in version 2008 and has been upgraded along the way into Revit MEP 2012, so i thnink many of the glitches carried on. The computers have been upgraded also. The warnings had never been cleared so now there are hundreds. 

I attached a pic of other warnings that are listed. 

Thanks for the info.

Message 6 of 14
Sandleaz

The model was split into 3 models to reduce the size, each one is about 60MB. This project started in version 2008 and has been upgraded along the way into Revit MEP 2012, so i thnink many of the glitches carried on. The computers have been upgraded also. The warnings had never been cleared so now there are hundreds. 

REVIT MEP 2012 is much better than REVIT MEP 2008.  Can you tell me how the model was split (by phase? by area covered? by discipline or sub-displine? other?).  I can suggest you turn all calculations off so that REVIT stops trying to calculate pressure drops or flows ... that will improve performance.  Also, I can suggest using user created shared parameters instead of the default REVIT ones like "Mark" and "Type Mark".   By default, REVIT will never automatically assign the same value of "Mark" to new elements ... so you'll never get that warning again even if REVIT autoassigns new (and ignored) values for "Mark".

Message 7 of 14

Also, I can suggest using user created shared parameters instead of the default REVIT ones like "Mark" and "Type Mark".   By default, REVIT will never automatically assign the same value of "Mark" to new elements ... so you'll never get that warning again even if REVIT autoassigns new (and ignored) values for "Mark".

That statement is not true if working in a workshared environment. If two people are placing the same category of element in a model then Revit will continual to assign the next number in the Mark sequence to each user's local copy. Upon Saving to Central the Mark error will be generated.

You can turn off calculations if you are only doing modelling and they are not required. However if they are required I would suggest that you resolve the systems issue properly.

No loss defined - Check the system is built properly, the correct sized fittings/accessories have been used so they can access the ASHRAE loss coefficient tables and also that duct shoes have a loss coefficient or specfic loss applied.

A new issue that arises in 2012 is linking no global connectors. Previously if you linked non-global connectors, Revit didn't do much. Now however, you can get the flow mismatch error if you try and link a supply connector to a return connector (for example) - so go edit you families to remove linked non-global conenctors.

Not well connected error is a pain to resolve as it is not always easy to find to the problem. Sometimes a simple delete the system (not all the ducts,, fittings, etc.) and re-create the system works. Sometimes you have to check that all elements are perpendicular/parallel/set at the exact correct angle as designed. By this I mean the connection is 30 degrees and not 29.999968 degrees. 

Fix that overlapping lines error - not sure how you forced Revit to have elements that accept this error as normally you can't do a filled region or create inplace geometry with this error.

The Mark value issue as mentioned in an earlier post is not a massive issue that will kill performace - so ADSK have advised me in the past.

Thank you!
Message 8 of 14
pverduzco

The model is a 10 story hospital and has been divided into 3 models basement thru 3rd flr interstitial, 4th thur 7th and so on. The model is only for plumbing, but we do have Mech referenced into it for coord. but I keep it unchecked- in VV. Plumbing has their own model. Mechanical and electrical share a model and theirs is still a larger file size and do not have any of the delays the plbg model experiences.

If there is a way to turn off the calculations feature, I would like to know how. We are not at the point were we can use this flow calculation option at this time. We just stub out the water supply and that as far as we take it.  Sewer pipe stubs up into the floor and ends. Someone mentioned putting caps at all end points but that would be too much just to have revit stop calculating from all open ends. 

Thanks for all the info..

Message 9 of 14
Sandleaz

That statement is not true if working in a workshared environment. If two people are placing the same category of element in a model then Revit will continual to assign the next number in the Mark sequence to each user's local copy. Upon Saving to Central the Mark error will be generated.

Touché.

The model is only for plumbing, but we do have Mech referenced into it for coord. but I keep it unchecked- in VV. 

Don't you want to reference all other REVIT (relevant/non-drafting view or sheet) files for coordination purposes.  Keeping it unchecked in VV doesn't do much except you can't see their stuff in the view.  The ways of improving performance is to uncheck the workset (dedicated to a file) or unload the file entirely.

Mechanical and electrical share a model and theirs is still a larger file size and do not have any of the delays the plbg model experiences.  

Why exactly are they sharing a file?  Mechanical usually has the largest file(s) because mechanical usually has the most stuff unless they're faking/just drafting.  Mechanical and electrical are tied at the hip because _____ (fill in the blank).  So you had to split up the plumbing file into 3 files because the file was getting too large but mechanical and electrical are fine with one file?  Why didn't you join their party?

If there is a way to turn off the calculations feature, I would like to know how. We are not at the point were we can use this flow calculation option at this time. We just stub out the water supply and that as far as we take it.  Sewer pipe stubs up into the floor and ends. Someone mentioned putting caps at all end points but that would be too much just to have revit stop calculating from all open ends. 

I believe it's under piping or duct systems in the type property.  Right click one and there should be a drop down list under calculations ---> set it to NONE.  You should put caps because it's good practice, not because REVIT can't figure out how to calculate flow.  

Message 10 of 14

please , can you provide me the link or the site for element renumber add-in ?
Regards
Message 11 of 14
abulla
in reply to: JohnGhaly

Kiwi Codes Element Renumber

Free trial, or $10 for the full version. I'd like to emphasize again that the "duplicate mark" warning happens a LOT, and it's one warning that you can probably just ignore.

Message 12 of 14

Hi John

If you are on subscription, Autodesk provide a renumbering tool.

Also go the the autodesk exchange store and search the Revit add-ins area. There are several free renumbering tools, some of which come with other useful free productivity tools.

Thank you!
Message 13 of 14
aaron_fenwick

Except when you have large number of re/re elements...
Message 14 of 14
iainsavage
in reply to: aaron_fenwick

You can use the reordering tool in DiRoots One free addon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report