Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Main & Secondary Panel Selections?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mjwalsh51
1279 Views, 4 Replies

Electrical Main & Secondary Panel Selections?

I have a building with the rooms set up in Revit Mep that has a 150 amp 3 phase 4 wire 240 Volt Wye-Delta for its main distribution panel with its accompanying wild leg etc. From that it branches out to another smaller 3 phase panel that serves another set of 3 phase motors. Also there is another branch panel that is a single phase 3 wire 230 volt panel that serves regular 110V & 220V single phase motors & outlets etc.

I go to Electrical Settings-Distribution Systems in Revit Mep 2008 & it lets me add the main distribution panel there as a 4 wire Wye.

At this point I am thinking that I have done enough so Revit Mep will have on its panel drop down lists (at my fingertips) the ability to add the secondary panel 240V 3 phase & the 230V single phase panel. I do not see either as being a component in the Revit Library. Are both these panels something that I have to create in the family creation for the logical layout & eventual load balancing? Any alternative approach that makes this somewhat do--able in Revit Mep 2008?

The 230V 3 Phase 4 wire Wye-Delta is a common installation in our area so I am hoping that Revit Mep can still be useful & of value with buidings that have that type of main panel & secondary panels as I described.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
kevinlutz1565
in reply to: mjwalsh51

Have you tried building a new "Distribution System"
under electrical settings?
From my experience, it is possible to do this as all the
panels and settings can be created and tweaked to make this happen.
First you would go to the settings drop down menu:
"Settings=>Electrical Settings"
then select the "distribution systems" on the left side of the screen. Notice you can add distribution systems.

You would then need to create a new family type for each panel (which can be easily done by basing it off an existing 120/208V panel). Change the panel voltage and assign it to the
distribution system you created for your 240V 3phase and 230V single phase systems.

Hope that works!
Message 3 of 5
mjwalsh51

Thanks Kevin. All of a sudden I do not feel quite so all alone.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems that since I have both Revit Mep & AutoCAD Mep & the AutoCAD version has the center grounded Delta 230V 3 phase panel it seems for this particular project it would be better to use the AutoCAD version of MEP.

It seems that there would still be issues with Revit Mep family creation when it got to the point of automatically balancing the unsupported panel. How would Revit Mep know enough to leave the wild leg alone when the rearranging of the amps occur on the panels that includes single phase branching? I can see it working without Autodesk programming the provision in themselves if only 3 pole breakers were used though.
Message 4 of 5
brittenr

I am also experiencing issue with this.  This distribution is not one that we typically work with... since you said you deal with it fairly often I was wondering if you found a solution?  It is frustrating to see that this is not a built-in function of Revit.  There is no way to specify in Revit which will be the wild leg.

Message 5 of 5
smbrennan
in reply to: brittenr

While there is no way to specify wild legs for electrical circuiting, you can control the circuits themselves. Once an object has been circuited, you can move the circuits via the panel schedule up/down or left/right.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report