Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Loading Estimate

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
frog3toad
1068 Views, 7 Replies

Electrical Loading Estimate

I have been tasked with preparing the electrical load estimate for a very large hospital. This estimate is based on the sum of square footages of varying types of spaces (Operating Rooms, corridors, patient rooms, Intensive Care Units, etc.).

It is my understanding that AutoCAD MEP has the areas for each space.

Can someone help me find out how to pull out the areas so it can be tabulated?

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
markmcmicheal
in reply to: frog3toad

This showed up in the Revit MEP Discussion Groups forum, but you mentioned AutoCAD MEP.  My response is how to do it using Revit MEP.  I'm guessing AutoCAD MEP has a similar way of doing it.

Using RevitMEP 2011and assuming you have a linked architectural model and have created all the spaces.  (You can also just use the architectural model and create a room area schedule) - Go to the Analyze TAB, select Schedule/Quantities.  A new dialog box should come up.  Select Spaces.  In the upper right hand corner it will create a Space Schedule.  You can change the name if you want.  Add the following parameters - Name, Number, Space Type, and Area.  Revit should create a schedule for you.  You can also add Level to the Space Schedule depending on if you want to sort the data by floor/level.

Go to Schedule/Quantities in the Project Browser Pane and select your newly created schedule.  Next go to the big R in the upper left hand corner and select Export, select Reports, and finally Schedule.  A new dialog box should popup asking for a filename and location for the TXT report.  Give it a name and location as you see fit.  Select the options you want for exporting.  I generally use the "," (comma) for the delimiter.  Then I open the TXT file in Windows NOTEPAD. 

When you open the file, you'll get a bunch lines that look like this:

"MENS RESTROOM","107","Office - Open Plan","367 SF"

I do a search and replace (Ctrl+H) for "<space>SF" and replace ALL with nothing "". <space> mean hit the space bar once to get a space character.  It should look like this when you're done:

"MENS RESTROOM","107","Office - Open Plan","367"

Save the revised file. 

Open Excel and then from within Excel do a file open and open the new TXT file. Be sure to change the filetype to ALL to see the TXT filetype.   Select the delimited radio button, Next, then "," (comma) as the delimiter, and finish. 

Then you can sort and manipulate the data as needed.

It is not dynamically linked.  Instead it is a one-time export for you to do some planning with.

Message 3 of 8
frog3toad

Mr. McMicheal,

Your assumptions and directions were clear and correct. Thank you very much for your help!

Message 4 of 8
Martin__Schmid

You could also simplify the process by removing the 'SF' from the schedule in Revit.. then, when it exports, you don't have to mess with it before manipulating in Excel.

You could further automate the process by using a Key Schedule directly within Revit to define the load density per space type, multiply by the area of each area, and sum the total.

http://www.screencast.com/users/MartinSchmidADSK/folders/Jing/media/00b22cd8-5ee2-457d-8507-2276bf68...

A similar process can all be done within AutoCAD MEP as well, using Property Sets, Styles, and Schedules.

http://www.screencast.com/users/MartinSchmidADSK/folders/Jing/media/2bf93ebf-dab7-4ce3-9494-127cf218...

HTH,

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
WilliamJ

Martin,

Great Tip!

How did you come up with the Parameter named  Load per sq ft?

Message 6 of 8
Martin__Schmid

The Load Per Sq Ft paramter is a Project Parameter associated witt the Space Category.

When you create the Space Schedule Key schedule, on the Fields tab, there is a button for 'Add Parameter...' you can use this to create a Project Parameter associated with Spaces.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 8
WilliamJ

Martin,

Again thank you - at this point I am going to further ask what formula did you use for Watt per sq ft?

Regards,

WilliamJ

Message 8 of 8
Martin__Schmid
in reply to: WilliamJ

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Can you refer to a particular time in the Video where you see "Watt per sq ft"?  The only place I see it is as the units for the Load per sq ft parameter.  The parameter's Discipline is Electrical and the Units is Power Density... you have a few options: "watts per square foot", "watts per square meter", "BTU per hour square foot"

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report