Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Design Software or Plugin for Revit

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
HVAC-Novice
2410 Views, 6 Replies

Electrical Design Software or Plugin for Revit

What software do you recommend to design electrical systems in Revit as plugin or as a standalone software that works well with Revit? A Plugin would be preferred so I don't have to export/import data (REVise InsTantly).

I like to design anything from service entrance on. I know Revit can calculate some loads. But I also want to:

- have one-line diagrams

- voltage drop calculations

- arc flash studies

- breaker coordination 

- Load per NEC, with picking factors for largest E-motor and other options

- Possibly alter from NEC rules since my State has some cahgnes to NEC

- ... other necessary things I can't think of right now that are typical for Electrical systems in buildings, possibly backup power, PV etc.

I realize some of the above may be better done in a standalone software (advise on which if applicable), but if I could do as much as possible in Revit that would be great.

I'm a mechanical engineer, so I'm not even familiar with what the typical non-BIM software is. I took an electrical design course, so I know enough to be dangerous :).

Revit version: R2024.2
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ukdxb012
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

Have you come across Amtech ProDesign before? http://www.amtech.co.uk/prodesign/walkthough

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 7
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: ukdxb012

Thanks for the reply. I had found that before while googling... but it looks like to be a UK product? It shows prices in pounds and says "design calculations to BS 7671:2008 (2011)". My conecrn is I either need to make adjustments or it won't meet NEC (USA)?

Do you have to be on some prescription so that it will work with Revit 2016 etc.? Have you used it yourself? Is the integration with Revit seamless?

Message 4 of 7
David_Robison

There are not a whole lot of options for what you are looking for. Typically you would do those calculations in a separate program such as SKM or EasyPower.

I have a plugin for Revit that is attempting to address your concerns. It can currently handle voltage drop calculations and arc-flash calculations. I am working toward some of the other features you mentioned, but they are not available yet.

http://www.designmaster.biz/revit/

Message 5 of 7
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: David_Robison

Drobinson: thanks for the reply. I'll try the demo of that.

But it seems if I really want more detail and one-line diagram i need a separate software.

Message 6 of 7
David_Robison

Yes, if you want one-line diagrams, you'll definitely need something else. We not quite to the point where a single model can do everything you need electrically.

I have another plug-in that gets a little closer to what you described. It is missing breaker coordination, which you might be able to do without. It also swaps AutoCAD for Revit, and I figured that would be a deal-breaker.

Message 7 of 7
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: David_Robison

correct, it being for ACAD only woudl be a dealbreaker 🙂

i think once you add the one-line diagram the plugin would be useful for occasional E-engineers. i looked up some of the dedicated E-design programs and it seems they cost as mch as Revit, so they are for people who do that all day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report