Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Linked Arch Model in Revit MEP

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Ammar74
4399 Views, 8 Replies

Editing Linked Arch Model in Revit MEP

Hi,

I have placed ducting and cable tray inside a linked Arch model in Revit MEP, I would like to know how to edit the walls roof i.e. _create opening for the duct in the walls_ in the Arch Model?

Thanks

Ammar

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
abulla
in reply to: Ammar74

This sounds more like an architectural question, but you should be able to edit openings in walls using the Edit Profile tool.

Edit_profile.png

Can I ask why you're modeling duct and cable tray in the architectural model rather than linking in the MEP model?

Message 3 of 9
Ammar74
in reply to: abulla

Hi Abulla

Thanks for reply,

I know how to edit wall profile in Revit Arch.

My question was how to edit LinkArch  model in Revit MEP,

All MEP stuff modeling was done inside Revit MEP template

Message 4 of 9
abulla

What version of Revit are you running? Even if you're running Revit MEP you should still have access to most of the Revit Architecture tools. You'll have to open up the linked architectural model separately to make any wall changes.
Message 5 of 9
CoreyDaun

As abulla stated, if you wish to cut the Walls or otherwise modify elements from a Linked Model, you will have to open that Project File and make the modifications there. It is just as impossible for an MEP user to cut holes in the Walls of a Linked Architectural Model, as it is for an Architect to erase the Ducts from a Linked MEP Model.

If you have a need to illustrate this in a 3D View, you can use the Copy/Monitor tools to Copy the select Walls into your Model. Then you could hide those Walls in the Linked Model (TAB+Select) and then modify the Profile of the copied Wall as per abulla's initial response.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 9
Ammar74
in reply to: abulla

Hi abulla

I am using Revit 2014, Is there a way to select indiviual items inside the linked Revit Arch Model??

Message 7 of 9
Ammar74
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hi CADastrophe

In Autodesk Inventor assembly, I can edit one part by reference geometry from other parts, my question is how to cut a wall opening in a Revit Arch model so it is exactly around a duct or pipe??

Please help with this??

Regards

Ammar

Message 8 of 9
%4seasons%

You need to create a hole within the Revit architectural file. To create a hole exactly around the duct/pipe, link the Revit MEP model to the Revit architectural file then reload back the architectural file into the Revit MEP file. 

Message 9 of 9
CoreyDaun

Ammar74 wrote: 

"I am using Revit 2014, Is there a way to select indiviual items inside the linked Revit Arch Model??"

Hover the mouse cursor over the desired element belonging to the Linked Model but do not click! Without moving the cursor, press TAB to cycle through the eligible elements for selection. When the desired element becomes highlighted, left-click to select it. Note that you will not have access to editing tools (such as Edit Profile) for elements belonging to a Linked Model, but you will be able to see it's Properties and Hide Element in View.

Ammar74 wrote:

"In Autodesk Inventor assembly, I can edit one part by reference geometry from other parts, my question is how to cut a wall opening in a Revit Arch model so it is exactly around a duct or pipe??"

As ben_hmac stated, you'll have to make any necessary Architectural modifications by directly opening the linked Revit Project and in order to coordinate with the "holes" with your Ducts, you'll have to link your MEP Project into that project. To expand on this, you will not be able to create a dynamic relationship between these "holes" and your Ducts, even if you were to constrain the Wall's Profile Sketch Lines to the edges your Ducts. This means that any changes to the position or size of your Ducts will have to be manually accounted for in the Architectural Model as well.

This is a boat-load of work and carries a high potential for error - may I ask why you have a need to show the cuts for your Ductwork and Cable Tray?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report