Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing a system family

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
ArynBergman
10397 Views, 9 Replies

Editing a system family

I would like to modify my cable tray such that when the graphical setting is set to course, that the cable tray is represented by a solid rectangular profile for CFD purposes; similar to the way a duct looks.  Is there an .xml schema somehwhere I could edit or some other way to create such a cable tray system family?

I know that we could use a duct or create a cable tray from a duct family, but those types of work arounds create all kinds of other headaches with things such as quantity takeoffs.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ajax05k
in reply to: ArynBergman

If U want to retain the cable tray graphical settings to fine, even when everything else is set to course then U can do this
Goto VG->"Model category" tab-> "Detail level column"-> set the detail level of the Cable tray and its fittings to fine, that's it.
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 3 of 10
ArynBergman
in reply to: ajax05k

Ah, good idea Ajay.  Thanks.  However, that only gets us halfway there.  I'd like to be able to use a simple rectangular profile to represent a full cable tray for CFD models which would mean creating a custom profile for the cable tray runs.  The fittings won't be a problem.  Any ideas?

Message 4 of 10
ajax05k

I don't know anything about CFD analysis, so I can't help you in that matter.
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 5 of 10
CoreyDaun

There is no way to modify a System Family in this manner. However, Cable Tray is represented by a solid rectangular profile under Detail Level: Medium.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 10
ArynBergman
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Suhweet, it wouldn't have occurred to me to check the medium graphics detail.  Thanks again Corey, that's exactly what I needed.

Message 7 of 10
barden-d

I have a very similar querey as to that of Aryn,

what I would like to be able to do would be to incorporate a text line into a Pipe, Duct or Conduit family so that underground ducting can be easily identified within a view. I know that REVIT does not have the same options for textlines as CAD but the same outcome is achievable by creating a detail item so that part is covered but is there any way of incorporating this into a system family or incorporiting it into the line pattern options. 

Any Ideas?

Dathai

Message 8 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: barden-d

The best you could to would be to create a View Filter that applies a specific Line Pattern (not a complex one) to elements based on the value of an unused System Parameter (like "Comments") or a user-defined Project Parameter. The Parameter should be an Instance Parameter, and you will have to manually assign this to all applicable elements.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 10
barden-d
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Corey, That sounds good but I'm not seeing any options to create " a specific Line Pattern" & the customisation of patterns seems very limited to hatches, Any chance you could give a description of what you mean. Thanks

Dathai

Message 10 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: barden-d

You can create a customized Line Pattern by going to Manage tab » Additional Settings Line Patterns. Then, under the Filters tab in V/G Settings, you can create a View Filter with the Filter Rules set as necessary, and then add it to the View. There, you can set the Filter Filter to apply a specific Line Pattern Override to the qualifying elements, under Project/Surface Lines. Note that complex Line Type are not possible. Overriding a Surface Pattern would work in a similar way (Fill Patterns).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report