Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate instances of linked models

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
RandMan
9804 Views, 16 Replies

Duplicate instances of linked models

Why do we have duplicate instances of our linked model files?  Only one instance is displayed under the "Manage Links" dialogue, but two are actually there, as displayed under "Visibility Graphics".  I have searched, but found no other mention of this problem.  This pertains to Revit MEP 2012; haven't yet checked this in 2013 version.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
CoreyDaun
in reply to: RandMan

When a Revit Model is linked into your project, it is automatically designated as "1", which is reflected in the expanded list under the Link's heading (REF #1 in the image below). If a second Revit Model is linked in, that one is designated as "2", and so on. Eliminating a Link does NOT reset this count.

There is only one instance of the first link in your model. If a Link is mistakenly or intentionally copied or if it is linked in again, then it adds another instance with a new number designation, reflected by additional lines under the heading. So if your model existing multiple times, it would be seen as per the image, REF #2.

Your last link is designated as "8" which means it is the eighth Link to enter your project, regardless if previous Links were deleted or removed. But is does indicate that only a single instance exists in your model. (REF #3)

As for the Display Settings, the button controls the BASE Visibility Settings for that Link. The button next to the first instance controls the visibility OVERRIDES for THAT instance. Since there is only a single instance, this is redundant. (REF #4). You third Link is correct, but your first link reads "Custom". You can disable this override within that option.

duplicate links.jpg

Confusing, huh? I think one of my co-workers suffered permanent sanity damage from this! Just ask if you need any more info!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 17
RandMan
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks, I may have to read through your response several times to really get it.  We would like to get rid of the second line, but sounds like Revit always adds it.  If I want to change visibility in the Arch model for example, I need to change in both places.  ( I could be wrong about that), regardless, visibility graphic settings only seem to effect the second line.

By "base setting" do mean for every view in the project?  I thought VG was vew-specific. 

Message 4 of 17
CoreyDaun
in reply to: RandMan

You're right, but by "base setting" I mean the link primary override settings, which are controlled by the button above REF #4.

I think this is best explained through example:

In my model, I have a Linked Revit Project "ArchLink". When I first create a View, there are no override settings for the link yet - it will follow the current View's V/G settings.

Now, I decide that I must turn off a couple of the architect's categories in the link. In going into V/G and then to the Revit Links tab, I will see "ArchLink" and under Display Settings, it reads "By Host View". By changing this, only the display of that particular link is affect. This we all know.

At this moment, "ArchLink" is collapsed in V/G, Revit Links tab, and will appear exactly as your second one does, as per the previous image ("136SAMS_MERCH.rvt"). If you expand this, you will find that it reads "Not Overridden" under Display Settings. There is only a single line entry for this link, because I have only one instance in my project.

Now, say for some reason (I can't even come up with a valid one), I must have TWO instances of "ArchLink" in my project, side-by-side. If I go to V/G and to Revit Links tab under "ArchLink", I can click the V/G overrides for that link. This will affect BOTH instances of "ArchLink".

Now, say I need to have SEPARATE V/G display settings for each of the instances of "ArchLink". In order to do that, I would go to Display Settings for one or both of the instances, which would be "1" and "2" under "ArchLink". This setting is an override to the override. So if I customize the V/G settings for both "1" and "2", then the V/G overrides for "ArchLink" are being overridden by the instance overrides of "1" and "2".

So..If you have a single instance of your Links in your Project, the instance override should read "Not Overridden". You can click on that, and there is a checkbox that says "Override display settings for this instance". Clear it.

***Note - I have found that if you select an element within a Link (by hitting Tab) and use "VH" to hide the Category, it automatically opens up that second "Custom" setting, as per REF #1 in the previous image. Do not use "VH" on embedded elements!

If there is anything that doesn't make sense to you still, don't worry, just ask! Happy to help!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 17
gbardales

OK. It kind of makes sense. But how can I get rid of it, because it causing my quantity to double in my schedules?

Message 6 of 17
bsammis

"When I first create a View, there are no override settings for the link yet - it will follow the current View's V/G settings."

You can get around this by creating an "ARCH[STRUCT/etc}) PLACEHOLDER" model and linking it into your template.  Once that link is established, you can set default VG overrides in your view templates for the linked models.  Then when you create a new project, instead of using "link Revit" just use Manage Links to Reload From and replace the placeholder file with the project A/S/whatever model.

Message 7 of 17
bsammis
in reply to: gbardales

"because it causing my quantity to double in my schedules?"

I would wager a very large sum that it's not. You only have a single instance of each linked model in your file. What you're seeing is essentially a sub-category of the linked models. Think of it like this - in your VG model settings, you have the category "Electrical Equipment." If you expand that category, you see sub-categories like Clearance. Those clearances aren't separate elements, they're just part of the Electrical Equipment. Your MDP isn't showing up twice just because it has a clearance area in the family.
Message 8 of 17
stevejimenez
in reply to: bsammis

This happend to me while i understand this i a little, if i had an instance nnumber 1 2 3 and i wanted to remove 3 how can i remove or omit the number 3 instance.

Message 9 of 17

Turn off numbers 1 & 2 in the VG and delete whats left 

Message 10 of 17

Autodesk help.PNG

Hi, Chris i want to remove the 13 Instance but i don`t know how to delete it i turned off the check mark but still no delete, its a bit annoying because all my views has this duplicate instance and  the second instance is inaccurate, thanks your your help  

Message 11 of 17
ToanDN
in reply to: stevejimenez

- Open a view that has two instances of that link

- Turn on both

- Select one instance of the link and see its name in properties, if it is 13 then delete, if it 3 then right click and select all in view

- SHIFT + click to deselect 3, the remaining selected one should be 13, delete it

Message 12 of 17
stevejimenez
in reply to: ToanDN

oh thanks I thought the manage control its must be done in actual view thank you very much.

Message 13 of 17
Ben.Heaton
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi, I have a similar issue. However when I select the revit link (there are 2 files, one with the suffix (internal) if that has a bearing) and selected ALL instances in either "Visible in view" or "Entire project" revit only selects the 1 model file?

Message 14 of 17
RobDraw
in reply to: Ben.Heaton

That's normal. This thread explains why.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 15 of 17
Ben.Heaton
in reply to: RobDraw

Thanks but I was responding to item 11. Where we are advised how to delete the extra models by selecting all and deselecting the non-specific one. 

Message 16 of 17
RobDraw

You probably don't have more than one instance as explained at length elsewhere in the thread.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 17 of 17
fabiosato

Hello,

In the latest Revit versions, you can create an RVT Links schedule and use it to check, selecting filename and name, for example.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report