Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ductwork from ABS to RBS

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
532 Views, 8 Replies

Ductwork from ABS to RBS

Can I bring ductwork that was drawn in Building Systems into Revit Building Systems? If so, how do I do it, or is there a tutorial around that describes how to import duct or piping?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

Griff,
You have two options.

Option 1
You can switch to a an isometric view in your ABS drawing and do an Export to AutoCAD command. This will convert your AEC objects (ducts, pipes, etc) into AutoCAD 3D Faces. You can then link in the exported file into your Revit Model.

Option 2
Do a search in your Content Browser for a "Convert to Solid" tool that converts AEC Objects into Solids. You then convert your Duct System to 3D Solids. You take those 3D Solids and export them to an ACIS file (*.sat). You can take the ACIS file and link it into your Revit Model as well.

There's no one-to-one interoperability for objects between the products, so these are your best options.

Cheers,
Kyle B
RSY Product Support

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Well, not as nice and easy as I'd hoped for, but it's twice as many options as I had before. Thanks Kyle for the reply
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

It's been recommended to use IFC export to go from ADT to Revit Building, so
you may want to look into this for ABS to Revit Systesm.

wrote in message news:5243688@discussion.autodesk.com...
Well, not as nice and easy as I'd hoped for, but it's twice as many options
as I had before. Thanks Kyle for the reply
Message 5 of 9
t.nash

ABS is supposed to be able to import and export GBXML files, you could try exchanging GBXML files with Revit?
Message 6 of 9
i4edge

If export items from ABS into revit (lets say a chilled water system) can I turn it into a revit piping system?
Message 7 of 9
i4edge

Ok i tried both ways with Plumbing systems. DON"T try to make a plumbing system solid!! Whoa that was a bad idea. Now doing teh 3d faces came in ok in revit. It lets you pick the faces but it doesn't know what they are.
Message 8 of 9
KyleB_Autodesk

If you're getting incorrect result with the Convert to Solids workflow, please report the specific issues to our support team. This should be working for most cases, and we need to improve it .

This is the most "light" data transfer between the two platforms. Think about it this way, a Pipe is converted into many 3D Faces to represent its geometry, each face with multiple vertex points. A Solid of that same Pipe would be just two vertex points and a diameter. Much less data.

Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 9
i4edge

Kyle I thought it would be quick but I used the same model for both processes. I even purged the drawing and removed all text. It was just ABS (2006) piping.

Autocad (2006) converted it fine to solid. But once I did it autocad took forever to zoom in and out. So I then saved it as a .sat file. I then tried to link it into revit and it took FOREVER (at least 20 mins) and then Revit (2008) just crashed.

(I'm running a Gateway Windows XP, 2GB Ram, W/Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz, and a Nvidia 7950GT 512meg mem card) Message was edited by: i4edge

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report