Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duct lining does not show if duct has insulation, even if insul VG is hidden

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dglenn9000
2155 Views, 7 Replies

Duct lining does not show if duct has insulation, even if insul VG is hidden

I like to draw all duct with insulation for better coordination.  Very useful in tight spaces. I leave the insulation visible in all sections & 3D views but turn in off in plan views. The problem I have is if the duct has insulation applied, it will not show the duct lining, even if the insulation is turned off in VG.  So I have a large duct where I want insulation to show in sections but the lining to show in plan view.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dglenn9000

That's some odd behavior; I've confirmed this. No matter how the Duct Insulation is hidden (i.e. by element, V/G Overrides, View Filter), the Duct Lining is also hidden, as you've described.

The only solution I can immediately come up with would be to set the Duct Insulation Category to Line Weight 1 and the Color to White, so it is essentially invisible. If you have to overcome the System Graphics Overrides, instead create a View Filter for the Duct Insulation Category with no Filter Rules Set. Add this to your View and set the Line Weight to 1 and the Color to White.

I would suggest reporting this behavior using the link below, which is frequently provided by Autodesk personnel here.

Autodesk Product Support

The following link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
bpielhop18
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Running into this same scenario, I would like to show liner but hide insulation.  The workaround with having insulation as a thin white line still affects the line break gap on the floor plans and also shows a think white line for each duct fitting, this needs to get fixed.

thanks

Message 4 of 8
jtgel
in reply to: bpielhop18

This happened to me before when printing. Try changing from Hidden to Wireframe. If that does not work what I have done in the past although it is not easy is to save the file, reopen it, shut off insulation just on the pieces that have lining, Print the file then shut down without saving. I know, stupid but it worked.

Message 5 of 8
adiaz

For those having this issue here is a solution.

Short story. At my office, we ran into this issue in two projects (2015, 2016 but it still happens in Revit 2017). The first time, on Revit 2016, to print my ductwork with lining we when through the process of detaching from central, removing all insulation and then printing. Later on, the project, we got tired of this workflow and just removed the insulation from all ducts. For the second project I contacted our reseller and they suggested a workaround by overlapping two plan views with different settings for duct insulation and lining. This didn't work.

Two weeks ago something good happened. I printed a set of the ductwork plans and lining printed OK even when it was not displaying on the screen because the “insulation” category was OFF in VG. I thought it was a bug in the program and I sent an email to all my Revit users explaining that they may not see lining on the screen but it will print OK. Two days ago I printed the ductwork set again and lining was gone! L but I knew this behavior was affected by a setting somewhere. I opened a support ticket with Autodesk and decided to spend some time trying to figure out the cause and a solution.

Here is the solution. The issue is related to “Hidden Lines” visual style and MEP disciplines. I went to the Mechanical Settings and started playing with the “Inside Gap” and “Outside Gap” settings. Trying a value, looking at the screen and printing. When the values were small enough lining started to print again!!! The values you assign to the Hidden Lines are related to the scale of the view and the Line Weights of your duct, lining and insulation of your project. For example for my current project my views are set to 1/8”=1’-0” scale, lineweight for ducts=5, lining=2 and insulation=1. To be able to print lining I have to set the “Inside Gap” and “Outside Gap” to 5/256”. If I change my view’s scale to ¼”=1’-0” then the values are 5/128” for both settings.

Maybe Autodesk can fix this in future relases/service packs or another person with more time can figure out a pattern or formula of the relationship between all these settings and create a table of values.

Hope this helps other MEP users out there

Regards,

Alex Diaz

Regards,

Alex Diaz
Message 6 of 8
zgoodNB6CL

It's been over half a decade and this still doesn't work as intended.

Revit keeps adding 'advanced' features nobody uses, yet still can't print drawings that look good. Priorities...

Message 7 of 8
RobDraw

Wow, nobody uses the new features? What a crock...

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 8 of 8
iainsavage
in reply to: zgoodNB6CL

Consider scale.

25mm duct lining at 1:100 will print at 0.25mm. 
Say your lineweight is equivalent to 0.3mm then the line representing the duct wall will project 0.15mm into the duct and the line representing the lining will project 0.15mm out, so there will actually be no gap between the lines and they will merge into one thick line.

Then add insulation on the outside, same scale issue and now three lines merging into one thick line.

Even with thicker lining and thinner lines the representation of the individual lines and the gap between them will be tricky at scales of 1:100 (1:96 for 1/8” per foot).

So either the (printed size) inside gap setting has to be probably zero or very small and the lines have to be very thin, or the scale has to be different to see this clearly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report