Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duct Fill/Hatch

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
%4seasons%
9199 Views, 33 Replies

Duct Fill/Hatch

Hi,

I am new to Autodesk Revit and just installed the software. Our company is using duct fill/hatch for different duct system types. I tried set up the color legend and applied. It comes out that duct fill/hatch do not apply to duct fittings. Did I missed something?

Also, when I try to switch to ceiling view, the color fill is greyed (please see attached). Is there any way I can activate this on ceiling view?

Thanks for the help in advance.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
CoreyDaun
in reply to: marco.defina

The Solid Fill Surface Pattern applied by the View Filter is masking it. You will have to somehow set the Duct to some level of Transparency, either through V/G Overrides or the View Filter itself.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 22 of 34
marco.defina
in reply to: CoreyDaun

With transparency i see the axis, but if i set the color of the axis of ducts and joints (red arrow) with sostitution does not work.

On the elbow i see not the axis (green arrow).

On the duct the axis remains with the color of the duct (blue arrow).

I think is all correct Smiley Frustrated

1.JPG

BIM Manager - HVAC and Plumbing designer https://www.autodesk.it/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/responsive-imagery/responsive-badges-compare/2019/navisworks-manage-2019-badge-75x75.pngApp AutoCAD per dispositivi mobili premiumNavisWorks Simulate3ds Max___________________________________________________________________________
Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums.

Message 23 of 34
CoreyDaun

Sorry for the delay of response, here!

-Marco- wrote:

"...On the elbow i see not the axis (green arrow)..."

The OOTB, defaut Duct Fitting Families do not seem to contain a Center Line in them. You will have to modify the Families to add such a line (likely a Model Line) and assign it to the "Center Line" Subcategory under the element's Properties.

-Marco- wrote:

"...On the duct the axis remains with the color of the duct (blue arrow)."

The View Filter will override every other means of controlling the color of the Center Line - there is nothing you can do to prevent this as long as the View Filter is controlling the color of the Duct.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 24 of 34
marco.defina

Thanks for all...Smiley Happy

BIM Manager - HVAC and Plumbing designer https://www.autodesk.it/content/dam/autodesk/www/products/responsive-imagery/responsive-badges-compare/2019/navisworks-manage-2019-badge-75x75.pngApp AutoCAD per dispositivi mobili premiumNavisWorks Simulate3ds Max___________________________________________________________________________
Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums.

Message 25 of 34
marco.defina

Maybe you can help me once again...

i created a new type of arrow for sirection of flow in the air terminal. I setted the hatch with a comment to set then the visibility filter to change color.

1.JPG

Then i insert the arrows in a new air terminal.

2.JPG

Finally i insert the air terminal in my project. After i setted the visibility filter the arrow don't change on the air terminal (indicated in green). But if i insert the family alone work (indicated in red).

3.JPG

Why don't work?

Message 26 of 34
marco.defina

At the link the revit file with the families

http://we.tl/QOZShad1ZG

Message 27 of 34
CoreyDaun

Are you trying to get the flow arrows to become a different color, by means of a View Filter? If so, that won't work because the View Filter cannot "reach into" the Family as affect the nested components separately, unless they are Shared components. Unfortunately, Shared Detail Component Families cannot be used in 3D model Families. Since the graphics of the Air Terminal element ' color is being overridden by some means (i.e. View Filter), all nested components will also inherit this color.

Message 28 of 34
marco.defina

If so, that won't work because the View Filter cannot "reach into" the Family as affect the nested components separately

This is what i have fear...ok

It's not a way to have a similar result? I don't know...3d arrow? Or i set the fill hatch on the entire terminal air after deleting the hatch in the arrow...

Message 29 of 34
marco.defina

OK i found a solution, i fill with filter the right color. The only problem is i need to make different filter between accessories of a different air system...But it works 🙂

1.JPG

Message 30 of 34
CoreyDaun

You could load the Detail Item Family (not Shared) into another Air Terminal Family (which would contain no geometry and would be Shared), and then load that Family into the primary Air Terminal Family. You can set the Type Comments of the nested, Shared Family to "ARROW", and then create a View Filter that targets Air Terminals with "Type Comments" - "equal to" - "ARROW". In the View's V/G Overrides > View Filters dialog, place this View Filter above  any others that affect Air Terminals.

Note that since these nested components are Shared, they will display in Schedules, but you can filter them out using the same ruling: "Type Comments" - "not equal to" - "ARROW".

Message 31 of 34
marco.defina

This solution i think is to much complicated, why i have so many terminal...

I find this solution and work very well

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

THE RESULT:

4.JPG

Finally a question, does exist a way to set the arrow that change dimension when i change the scale?

Message 32 of 34
CoreyDaun

-Marco- wrote:

"Finally a question, does exist a way to set the arrow that change dimension when i change the scale?"

Just create the nested flow arrow Family as a Generic Annotation, instead. Generic Annotations are annotative whereas Detail Items are not.

Message 33 of 34

Seems like this thread got a little off track. I am still trying to put a hatch on MEP fabrication duct to represent a ductwork material change. I am not trying to change the material for the whole system (not that that is even possible with fab parts the same way as revit ducts). I understand filters and changing of colors, but if I am printing in black and white I want hatch, not color. Changing the Pattern under filters does not seem to work as expected. 

Message 34 of 34
RobDraw
in reply to: andrew.mcauliffe

@andrew.mcauliffe wrote:

Seems like this thread got a little off track. 

Your certainly not helping to get it back on track. This thread is quite old and was solved in the first reply. You should start a new thread with your new question instead.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report