Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duct and Mech Equipment dont mask CMU hatching on wall behind, in section view

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dtiemeyer
1014 Views, 4 Replies

Duct and Mech Equipment dont mask CMU hatching on wall behind, in section view

Well, the subject line about sums it up.

I have a building section, the linked in arch model has CMU pattern on the wall face. When I cut a section my ducts (and fittings) and mechanical equipment don't mask out the hatching on the wall behind them, the cmu hatching shows up on my ducts and equipment. And it does also plot this way.

The section view is in HIDDEN LINE, and classified as a MECHANICAL discipline.

section settings.png 

section.png

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dtiemeyer

This is by design. In Revit, hatch patterns are masked according to the Elements' Categories and by the View's Discipline. Elements in the View are either considered "In-Discipline" (i.e. Mechanical Equipment in a Mechanical View, Walls in an Architectural View, anything in a Coordination View) or "Out-of-Discipline" (i.e. Walls in a Mechanical View).

When two "In-Discipline" or two "Out-of-Discipline" are staggered in a View, the Surface Pattern of the rear-most element will be masked by the foremost. However, when this situation involves one "In-Discipline" and one "Out-of-Discipline" element, the Surface Patterns are never masked. In other words, Revit will always show the Surface Pattern (and other lines) of the Walls even when behind Mechanical Equipment in a MEP-Disciplined View. (see image at bottom of post)

There are two work-arounds that I can immediately think of:

1. Change your View's Discipline to Coordination and make the Architectural Categories half-tone. The downside of this is that MEP Hidden Lines will be disabled, because those are exclusive to the MEP-Disciplined Views.

2. More complicated, create a separate Coordination View that mimics the primary View, change the Discipline to Coordination, half-tone the Architectural Categories, and make the lines of the MEP Categories line weight 1 and hide the Surface Patterns for the MEP Categories. In the main View, hide the Surface Patterns for the Architectural Categories. Finally, place both of the Viewports on the Sheet, overlapping. Place the Coordination View first so it is in the Background.

DisciplineMaskingHatch.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
dtiemeyer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks Corey, I went with option 1, I think it's the better of the two.

Dustin

My other CAD is a Cadillac and I like to Revit to the Max!
Message 4 of 5
VDCAD2

Great breakdown Corey! The quickest band-aid I found was to turn off the Wall pattern in VG when people who don't understand Revit continue to gripe about seeing a Wall through a piece of Equipment. 

Message 5 of 5
hmunsell

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/visibility-of-architectural-surface-patterns-when-view-is...

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report