Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duct Accessories Auto Size Change

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
gookeeper
2301 Views, 6 Replies

Duct Accessories Auto Size Change

Hi

Can someone confirm to me, that revit mep side wont auto change the duct accessories, ie fire dampers, vcds etc, if the duct size is changed.

i'm guessing this only works if the system has been calculated.

i read some where this function didnt work 5 years ago, just wonder if its does now(im not getting my hopes up)

Cheers

Guy

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
abulla
in reply to: gookeeper

Correct, the out of the box duct accessories will not auto-resize with duct size changes.
BUT
With the new changes to how lookup tables are handled in 2014, it is possible to make a duct/pipe accessory that will resize with its host. Lookup tables are now embedded directly into the family itself, rather than looking to a separate external file location. We're going to set aside some time to create a few families using this new functionality, hopefully I can have some more detailed instructions then.
Message 3 of 7
gookeeper
in reply to: abulla

Thanks for replying abulla

ill take a look at lookup tables.

ill be interested how you get on with them though.

Guy

Message 4 of 7
allandickson
in reply to: abulla

Post resurrection....did you ever manage to get a damper to auto size?

I'm currently failing to get a VCD (volume control damper) family to auto resize based upon the connected duct size. I've tried:

Ensuring the Duct Width/Height are "instance" parameters

- Ensuring the Duct Width/Height are categorised as "HVAC" & "Duct Size"

- Employing Lookup Tables, where the Duct Width/Height are the lookup values

However I try, I don't seem to be able to get the VCD family to inherit the connected duct size. Should this be possible?

I've noticed a built-in parameter appears when the family is placed in a project : "Size = 200x200 - 200x200", but I'm not sure how to incorporate this via the Lookup table.

Message 5 of 7

Any news on a fix for this? It would literally save me weeks of time. probably months. like in the THOUSANDS of hours. I am not kidding. Revit is incredible how seriously incapable it is. 

Message 6 of 7

Any time I have to change a SINGLE size in branch duct work, this means I have to:

1. delete damper

2. trim ductwork to connect ducts disconnected by deleting damper. (any fittings connected to flex duct now disappear(for no reason whatsoever))

3. delete screwed up flex duct

5.recreate fitting

6.recreate and connect flex duct

7. resize duct work (&flex duct)

PS. for every step (including any panning in the viewport) lags for 1-10 seconds 

This whole process sometimes takes minutes. In single line CAD drawings?? about 2 seconds:

1. click size note

2. click the desired keyboard button for your size...

Message 7 of 7
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: gookeeper

Use instance parameters. I wouldn't do that though, since i schedule each damper size and also are bound what the manufacturer actually has available. If they only have 6, 8 and 10"dampers, i don't want it to auto-size a 14"damper. 

I don't have to delete the damper to upsize, I just change the type in "properties". I think the flex-duct is a bit finicky and doesn't auto-size to connectors like hard duct does. But I don't often connect flex duct directly to dampers. 

Revit version: R2024.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report