Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Voltage In Schedules

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
TerribleTim68
1200 Views, 17 Replies

Dual Voltage In Schedules

Hey guys,

Have any of you ran into needing to show dual voltage in your schedules? How are you handling it? I have an item I need to show as "120/208", but Revit won't accept the "/", or a dash, or any other non number integer. What are you guys doing for your dual voltage items?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
CoreyDaun
in reply to: TerribleTim68

If you want to "show" (in a Tag or Schedule) dual voltage, you have to do so with a Shared Text Parameter with a formula to compile the text. Can you provide some specifics on your situation; how/where are you intending on showing this dual voltage info? Is an actual Voltage parameter driving the Electrical Connector of your Family?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 18
TerribleTim68
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes, as shown in the attached pic in OP, it is an actual electrical voltage parameter. I also need it to stay as an electrical voltage parameter for scheduling purposes. We have a huge list of items, some have electrical data, some have plumbing data, and we filter them to only show the ones with electrical data in one schedule, and then the ones with plumbing data in another schedule. The problem with using a "text" parameter is that it would end up being a different column in the schedule, plus make filtering insane. So you'd end up with almost all items having the electrical voltage in the "VOLTS" column, and then a couple items with that data in a different column. For now we're leaving it blank and inputting "120/208" in the comments column. But that's not ideal. I need to find a better solution. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 18

Here is a pic of a given schedule showing an item that should read 120/208 in the "VOLTS" column.

Message 5 of 18
CoreyDaun

The quickest, most immediate solution I can offer you (in regard to the Schedule) is to enter a slightly-off value for the Voltage, such as 121V for the instances of dual-voltage. In your Schedule, create a Calculated Value (Text) with the Formula:

= if(Voltage = 121 V, "120/208", if(Voltage = 208 V, "208", "120"))

Hide your actual Voltage Parameter and display this Calculated Value in its place. Note that the above formula must account for every possible Voltage that you use to work properly. A more complete formula would be:

= if(Voltage = 121 V, "120/208", if(Voltage = 208 V, "208", if(Voltage = 278 V, "277/480", if(Voltage = 277 V, "277", if(Voltage = 480 V, "480", "120")))))

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 18
TerribleTim68

Thanks for the reply Cory. I've been poking at an if statement to somehow get there. Looks like it will be a little more drawn out so that it covers all possible voltages needed. This may take some effort, but I think you got me pointed the right direction at least. 

Message 7 of 18
Loyjoy

now I want to add an automatic volt 121 so I try this :

if(120_208_DualVoltage , Volts , "121 v")

it's not working

Message 8 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: Loyjoy

@Loyjoy wrote:

it's not working

Why is the Calculated value type Current (unit = A)?  Should it be Electrical Potential (unit = V)?

Message 9 of 18
Loyjoy
in reply to: ToanDN

sorry did not work same message inconsistent units

Message 10 of 18
ToanDN

Can you list the type of parameter for all the parameters listed in the formula?

Message 11 of 18
Loyjoy

Capture2.PNG

Message 12 of 18
ToanDN

Sorry.  A snapshot of your schedule is not necessary.  What is the parameter type of:  Volts?

@Loyjoy wrote:

it's not working

Message 13 of 18
Loyjoy

Capture3.PNG

Message 14 of 18
Loyjoy

and then I use your suggestion - if(Volts = 121 V, "120/208", if(Volts = 208 V, "208", if(Volts = 278 V, "277/480", if(Volts = 277 V, "277", if(Volts = 480 V, "480", "120"))))) 

now I want to use a Yes / no Paramiter to make it  121 and 278 or 277 tpo make it a dua volt

Message 15 of 18
ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:

Sorry.  A snapshot of your schedule is not necessary.  What is the parameter type of:  Volts?

@Loyjoy wrote:

it's not working

The reason it is not working is that Volts is Electrical potential and the Calculated Value is Text.  Text don't understand what the voltage value of Volts means.

Message 16 of 18
ToanDN

@Loyjoy wrote:

and then I use your suggestion - if(Volts = 121 V, "120/208", if(Volts = 208 V, "208", if(Volts = 278 V, "277/480", if(Volts = 277 V, "277", if(Volts = 480 V, "480", "120"))))) 

now I want to use a Yes / no Paramiter to make it  121 and 278 or 277 tpo make it a dua volt

The formula above looks correct.  If you want a box to be checked if dual-voltage then try this:

Yes/No parameter: Dual_Voltage

Formula: IF ( OR ( Volts = 121 V, Volts = 277 V), 1<2, 1>2)

Message 17 of 18
TerribleTim68

@CoreyDaun wrote:

The quickest, most immediate solution I can offer you (in regard to the Schedule) is to enter a slightly-off value for the Voltage, such as 121V for the instances of dual-voltage. In your Schedule, create a Calculated Value (Text) with the Formula:

= if(Voltage = 121 V, "120/208", if(Voltage = 208 V, "208", "120"))

Hide your actual Voltage Parameter and display this Calculated Value in its place. Note that the above formula must account for every possible Voltage that you use to work properly. A more complete formula would be:

= if(Voltage = 121 V, "120/208", if(Voltage = 208 V, "208", if(Voltage = 278 V, "277/480", if(Voltage = 277 V, "277", if(Voltage = 480 V, "480", "120")))))

Okay, so to follow up on this because I actually like this solution -
How do I go about removing the "Volts" column from my schedule? I don't want to have the "Volts" column in the schedule if I'm replacing it with this new "calculated value" column. Because every time I try to remove the "Volts" field from my schedule I get a message saying "You are removing a field used by Calculated Value field(s). You can remove the field by editing the properties of the affected Calculated Value field(s)." What does that mean exactly?
Message 18 of 18
fabiosato

Hello,

If you use a column in a formula, you can´t remove it, hiding it is the option.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report