Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual 3-way switching

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
kcrum
1173 Views, 1 Reply

Dual 3-way switching

I am currently working on a number of rooms that will have a two sets of double doors in each.  At each door we will have two 3-way switches that will control the inner and outer lamps of the 2x4 recessed troffers.  I am not attending training for another couple of weeks so I am trudging through this program and scrounging through forumns to find any help I can get.  Any suggestions on where I should start?  We added an extra connection to the fixture so I have the primary connection and then a secondary for the second switch.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
CoreyDaun
in reply to: kcrum

Three-way switching is not possible in Revit using Switch Systems - a Switch System can only contain a single switch. This had been my example of how Revit Electrical is severely lacking. This is a very basic design technique and Revit is not capable of it. The work-around would be to include a Shared Parameter in your Switch Family and associated Tag Family to represent the switch leg. This will require manual data entry.

Dual (or multi-) ballast fixtures are another issue. While one can add and connect multiple Electrical Connectors to a light fixture, the element itself can only be assigned to a single Switch System. Furthermore, Tags can only report the data from the Primary Electrical Connector, so if the second Connector is routed to another Panel, unless the Wire is Tagged with said information. The work-around I am currently using for accurate dual-ballast fixtures is to model a separate Family as the secondary ballast (with an Electrical Connector), marked that Family as Shared, and then load that into the primary Family. When a nested Family is designated as Shared, the nested Family will be treated as an independent element once in the Project environment, so the secondary ballast Family can be added to a Switch System without including the host Family.

Also, dual-switches is not directly possible when the dual-switches are modeled as a single Family, since the entire element counts as a single switch. The work-around is to either use a Shared Parameter as per the top paragraph here, or to model the secondary switch as a Shared Nested Family with an Electrical Connector, as per the second paragraph.

This is likely a little bit over one's head without any training, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report