Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing existing duct in existing phase

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
6380 Views, 5 Replies

Drawing existing duct in existing phase

Is there a way to draw existing duct/pipe etc immediately in the existing view?

Currently, when I draw or insert something on a view set to show "view previous+demo", it is always placed on the new construction phase. So onces its drawn, I go to a view that shows new construction and change the phase to existing. This works but its annoying. Is there a way to directly create items on the existing phase?

I've looked at other forums and it seems possible, but I can't figure it out in revit 2013.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

When new elements are created, they inherit the current View's Phase as their Phase Created. Since Demo Plans are set to the New Construction Phase, all new elements are treated as New thus become hidden with the Phase Filter "Show Previous + Demo". I recommend creating dedicated Existing Views for the sole purpose of drawing existing elements, as detailed below. If you really don't want to create these Views, the best you can do is change the Phase Filter to "Show All" and then select and change the newly creating elements to the proper Phase.

When settings up initial Views for an existing building, I recommend creating three Views per floor: Existing, Demo, and New, as described below.

View Phase Phase Filter Purpose
Existing Existing Show Complete Place/create all of the EXISTING elements here.
Demo New Construction Show Previous + Demo Designate the appropriate existing elements as DEMOLISHED.
New New Construction Show Previous + New Place/create all of the NEW elements here.
Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
HWRyanJr
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Can you explain if there is a reason why you would use Show Complete and not Show All?  

Message 4 of 6
christianSDQF2
in reply to: Anonymous

I am in the same boat.

Message 5 of 6
RobDraw
in reply to: christianSDQF2

If you do as suggested in the second post, you won't be.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 6 of 6
iainsavage
in reply to: christianSDQF2

Duplicate a view.

Set the view’s PHASE to Existing, or whatever your phase is called.

Set the view’s phase FILTER to any thing which will show anything that you create in that view e.g. None, Complete, New, Previous + New etc. 

Anything that you create in that Existing view will automatically adopt the Existing phase.

PS: don’t get confused by use of the words Existing and New in phases or in phase filters.

For phases you can call them anything that you want, its the order in which they occur in the phase settings dialogue box which matters. It would maybe be better if Revit had defaulted to calling them something like Phase 1, Phase 2 etc.

For phase FILTERS, “Existing” just means it existed before the current view’s phase, no matter what those phases are called. “New” means created in the current view’s phase, again no matter what the phases are called. So something which is “New” in a Phase 1 will be “Existing” in a Phase 2, Phase 3 etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report