Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draw Order in Generic Annotations

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tim102289
10716 Views, 11 Replies

Draw Order in Generic Annotations

I was attempting to create a north arrow generic annotation based off of the one we use in AutoCAD.  I managed to get one that looks fairly close, but discovered when I loaded it into a project, the draw order was different than in the family editor, and so light lines were showing on top of darker lines that were supposed to be hiding the ends of the lines.  Is there anyway to control the draw order?  Also, some of the filled regions cover up lines while some do not.  I figured this is also a matter of draw order.

Tim Smith
IT Manager, Mechanical Engineer  |  Motz Engineering

“There is nothing more expensive than hiring cheap engineers.”
Experienced in Revit MEP/AutoCAD/Sketchup | Autodesk BPA Certificate
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tim102289

The draw order is not easily controlled in the Family Editor. Try selecting the element that you want to send to the background and then use Cut and then Paste: Aligned to Same Place. That worked in a quick test I performed with two crossing Symbolic Lines.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
tim102289
in reply to: CoreyDaun

That worked thanks! Strangely, when doing that the lines appear in front in the family but in the back in the project.
Tim Smith

Message 4 of 12
CoreyDaun

Further proof that Revit is utterly mad. screwy.gif

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 12
tim102289
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes.  I'm not really sure why they didn't simply include draw order options in the family editor.  I started another thread about this North Arrow by the way, as I figured it was about a separate issue and shouldn't be tied to this post.

Tim Smith

Message 6 of 12

The easiest solution we have found is to create a generic annotation family that only contains your masking region. Insert this into your parent family and place linework that you would like to appear on region. Once inserted into a project. the mask should stay behind with all other linework remaining visible.

Message 7 of 12
jeremy
in reply to: luke_martinaquatic

you are the man! thank you!

Message 8 of 12
Jim_Melin

Alternative workaround?

Instead of using Opaque on the label-type poroperties:
Drawing a white filled region automatically places itself under tha label.
By default filled region gets an outline, but choose Invisible Lines when drawing the shape and they will disappear.

But the filled region unfortunately can't be constrained to fit the possible variations in the size of the label contents. This only works well if fixed in size.

Or with some difficulty if ruled by formula that can be expressed to fit the label contents.

Kindly
Jim Melin
AEC AB CAD Solution Support

www.aec.se
Message 9 of 12

Brother,

Thank you....

M

Message 10 of 12
lispishly

cannot delete this post, lol... duh, duh-duh...

Message 11 of 12

this worked for me... took way too long. Please add draw order to the symbol family editor.

Message 12 of 12

Is this still the best solution/workaround 9 years later?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report