Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know a good way to make a Dimming System Load Schedule?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sokcay
1260 Views, 8 Replies

Does anyone know a good way to make a Dimming System Load Schedule?

The following catagories must be included in the schedule: 1) Zone, 2) Room or Space, 3)Description, 4) Load Type, 5) Fixture Type, 6) Quantity, 7) VA/Fixture, 😎 Load Total (VA), 9) Dimmer Size, Dimmer Label, 10) Dimmer Trim Settings (High & Low), 11) Load Balancing (A, B, C). It seems that the information I want included and the setup I want is similar to what can be found in a Panel Schedule Template. I'm thinking that I just need to modify a panel schedule to work for me (a lighting designer not an electrical engineer)... but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about it. 

I've attempted to make a Dimming System Load Schedule using the parameters available in an Electrical Circut Schedule and embedded a Lighting Fixture Schedule to get the other information I need. However, it seems like this is a lot of manual labor for things that are already setup in such a way in the Panel Schedule template. 

I've attached our current excell file setup of what I want in Revit.

Suggestions? 

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: sokcay

Unfortunately, there is no good way to accomplish this easily in Revit. This is far beyond Revit's understanding, as Revit is still incapable of the simple concept of a three-way light switch. Anything complex like this will require a lot of manual data entry and Shared/Project Parameters. For instance, for a Lighting Control Relay Schedule, I scheduled Switch Systems and also added several Project Parameters to the Switch Systems Category.

In your case, I think this is better handled outside of Revit. You could export your Electrical Circuit Schedule as a starting point, but I believe this is just beyond Revit's abilities without tremendous work-arounds.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
adam.jw
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Parroting CADastrophe's thoughts.

Our firm has just used dumb text shared parameters to make schedules. It's really all you can do.

It's a shame too. Because the data is there, potentially, there's just no good way to tie it altogether.

How many threads have their been on relay panels in the history of the Revit MEP forums? I can't even count. It's a highly desired feature bump for Revit.

in reply to: adam.jw

If it's been regularly asked for year after year, why has it not happened? Does Autodesk not see value in accomodating the electrical community?

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 5 of 9
adam.jw
in reply to: smbrennan

if(Profit Potential of Feature < Hours To Develop Feature, "DO NOTHING", "DEVELOP FEATURE")

if(People Asking for Content Over and Over Again = Less Product Sold, "Do Something", "Continue to Lose Sales")

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 7 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: smbrennan

It pains me that I fail to come up with a witty formulaic response here, but I don't think it costs them that many sales. From what I've seen, the Architect is primarily the one driving the use of Revit and subsequently requires it's use from the consultants, so appeasing the Architect would be the logical goal.

Wait, wait! Maybe...

= if(consultant is happy with Revit, "USE REVIT", if(architect is happy with Revit, "TOUGH, USE REVIT ANYWAY", "USE PREFERRED PROGRAM"))

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 9
adam.jw
in reply to: CoreyDaun

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait, wait! Maybe...

= if(consultant is happy with Revit, "USE REVIT", if(architect is happy with Revit, "TOUGH, USE REVIT ANYWAY", "USE PREFERRED PROGRAM"))

Bahaha. So true.

I think it's a vicious cycle in a way.

Architects are first priority for Autodesk to appease.

MEP consultants are second string.

MEP consultants resist adopting Revit MEP.

Thus, Autodesk doesn't view Revit MEP as a priority for development because consultants only use (buy) it when "forced" to.

However, Architects must work with MEP consultants to design buildings. Rather than have constant push-back from consultants that would rather put a bullet between their eyes than use Revit (I would argue once you have a competent and trained staff the hours really aren't such a burden, but still...) ---- why not just hire a few more devs for the MEP side of Revit and apply the philosophy "If you build it, they will come."

Because, I think when most MEP consultants see the potential value in a beautifully coordinated dataset --- they want to use it. It saves them time to have their calculations and designs sit inside the model instead of having to constantly go outside of it, or use a work around to get it done.

But alas. The 2014 upgrade of Revit was a real... "meh" for us MEPs. Like "wow, we can host air terminals directly to ducts!" --- and Autodesk was all happy about it, like a misbehaving child with poor grades that FINALLY get's a B+ and expects attaboys and extra privilages.

Meanwhile, there's still no "compressed air" or "natural gas" pipe systems. Still no relay panels. Still no multi-section panel boards. Still no Still no.

Just remember we're all second string to Architects.

DISCLAIMER: I love Revit. I love Revit for MEP. But Revit for MEP is like an extremely intelligent college student that would excell if only he would apply himself.

The worst part about it all is I understand all of it. My problem comes in as I work for an electrical contractor. We WANT to use Revit and we've wanted to for a few years. The biggest problem we have is the amount of detail we include for our electricians - Revit can't even come close to. Looking at something as basic/fundamental as properly calculating the minimum number of neautral wires in a 3-phase WYE electrical system - I'm just dumfounded at how easy this is, but it can't even be done correctly. I can't put 6 circuits on the same neutral - bad things happen. I certainly don't want to dedicate a neutral per circuit - that's just added cost.

I think if Autodesk really wants this to be a BUILDING solution, then they need to accomodate every element of the building. Sure, Architects get to place fancy light switches and dimmers because all they care about is the aesthetics ... but functionally how does that need to work, what does it tie in to? Oh, and don't get me started and Autodesk's idea that all conduit is empty.

As we all know, a family is crap without the proper parameters. For anyone new to Revit, the amount of work needed to make anything work for them is overwhelming. I'm no where near an expert, but I'm beyond the basics (I've set up a template with views/viewtemplates, lineweights, adjusted project parameters and shared parameters for some scheduling, and created a schedulable/tagable schedule for pre-fabrication purposes), and even I don't understand how to make Revit display branch power circuit plans the way we typically show them. (ie: Circuits 1,3,5 & 2,4,6 vs 1,2,3,4,5,6; one arrow vs one per circuit, "networked" 3-phase systems). I think it's simply because either it takes A LOT of custom work and EXTENSIVE knowledge of Revit capabilities, or it's simply not possible. Either way it's quite the financial investment becaues I can't do it with my knowledge - I feel that I need to outsource that, which shouldn't be the case. Customers should be able to purcahse a product, go through basic training, know/see what they want to do, and be able to make adjustments on their own - not rely on Autodesk Partners for development.

Shawn B.

||    

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report