Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail Lines / Model Lines

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
RJK42
3105 Views, 5 Replies

Detail Lines / Model Lines

Is there a way to initially start drawing lines in "Detail Lines" instead of "Model Lines"?  I am renovating a building and working off of old blueprints.  The project has to be completed in Revit, and instead of drawing the pipes and equiment in 3D for demo purposes, I just want to draw single lines instead.  The issue is that when I draw the lines, its faded.  I would have to select each segment and convert it to a "Detail Line" to have it stand out.

Thanks!! 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: RJK42

The Model Lines command is on the Architectural tab, and has the default keyboard shortcut of "LI" while the Detail Lines command resides on the Annotate tab and has the default shortcut "DL". If you wish to change the keyboard shortcuts, go to View tab » User Interface ▼ Keyboard Shortcuts.

Note (Model Lines): The reason that Model Lines appear faded is that Revit considers them to be an architectural element, and therefore they are classified as "out-of-discipline" (and consequently faded) if the View's Discipline is set to anything other than Architectural or Coordination.

Note (Detail Lines): Keep in mind that Detail Lines are annotation elements, and as such, they will ONLY appear in Views (and subsequent Dependent Views) in which they are drawn. Model Lines, conversely, are model elements and will appear in all applicable Views.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
RJK42
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I will only need to show these lines in their own sheet.  So would it be appropriate to use the Detail Lines?? I initially did this in AutoCAD and imported the demo lines with (Hidden) type into Revit but the format was off.  For example, when I created a simple box in AutoCAD using the "Hidden" type, after importing it into Revit, it look like 2 parellel lines instead.  But when I use Revit, I re-drew the lines using and selected the "Demolished" type and everything is as I wanted.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

Sounds like you're just doing 2D drafting in Revit. How fun... Anyway, if that is the case, I would recommend setting your Views' Discipline to Coordination and using Models Lines with a "Demolition" line style, which can then be controlled under V/G and through View Templates. That way, you will be able to coordinate with the demo information in other Views if necessary. And if you have to copy a demolition View for some reason, you don't have to worry about copying over the Detail Lines as well.

Also, regarding the AutoCAD import - try overriding the Line Styles of the layers to "Demolished" under Object Styles » Imported Objects tab.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
RJK42
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I like your first advice.  I'm actually trying to stay clear of AutoCAD as much as possible and only use it if I'm in a jam because I'm not as experienced in Revit.  But anyway here are the steps I did.  I just want to make sure that is what you suggested.

I left my model lines alone,

Right clicked and duplicated the view and renamed it demo mech 

I made sure I am currently in the new "demo mech" view

Then, within the properties under graphics, changed the discipline from "Mechanical" to "Coordination"

Now my "model lines" are nice and bold and now selectable.

I Isolated all my lines and change the type to "Demolished"

I linked a Revit file, named Arch, into my Mech and the back ground was all faded.  After making the coordination view, everything is darken.  I would like to have everything faded except for the demo.

Thanks again!!!!

I attached some pics.  This is representing old fin tubes with with risers.

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

For your Views, under Visibility/Graphics Overrides » Revit Links tab, mark the Arch Link as Halftone and the entire Linked Model will become faded.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report