Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail Components for Detail Drafting Views - where to get components?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
HVAC-Novice
1369 Views, 1 Reply

Detail Components for Detail Drafting Views - where to get components?

I plan to build up a library of standard details (for example piping schemes, lighting control layouts etc.). I think the proper way to do would be to use drafting views and detail components. So I want to have detail components for often used symbols (i.e. relays, valves) etc.

What would be a good source for already made detail component families? I searched all places and googled, but haven't found much. There seem to be many details in CAD format. So do i have to create my own (for example by importing the available dwg), or is there a good source?

Alternatively I was thinking to use MS Visio for typical details. But first that doesn't have all the symbols I need, is clunky to draw in, and having to go via dwg also is not efficient. So ideally i do something in native Revit.

I'll start a separate project for master detail views and elements so that any dirt that comes with dwg doesn't clutter up my actual project.

I typically have good luck finding families (and to manipulate them to my needs). but for detail components (which are families as well) I don't seem to have any luck, unless I'm missing something.

So far I just used drafting views with a few detail groups to create details, sure not the most efficient way.

Revit version: R2024.2
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
alan.quinn
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

You have several choices on how to do this and where to get them. I'm a big fan of finding what I can and altering to my needs. I would start with the out of the box content, then start searching online. Another option you mentioned is importing AutoCAD, but I would trace over them in Revit.

The out of the box content (for 2015) is stored here: C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\RVT 2015\Libraries\US Imperial\Detail Items

Searching the web I found the following:

http://seek.autodesk.com/

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?31882-AU-Detail-Components-DOWNLOAD-HERE

Also, depending on the content you need I suggest reaching out directly to manufactures as many have produced Revit content.

Thanks for posting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report