Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing Rise/Drop Symbol

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
chirayu
4910 Views, 13 Replies

Customizing Rise/Drop Symbol

How can I customize the Rise and Drop Symbols for pipes?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: chirayu

Good question. I would like to customize them too...
Message 3 of 14
KyleB_Autodesk

Do you feel that the existing Rise/Drop symbols do no convey designed intent of your systems?

Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Hi there Kyle.
I would like to get some control over symbols - some of them are OK, but others need some customization to meet my company's standards. Piping symbols are mostly OK.
On the other hand, I would like to assign different symbols to ducts. Round ducts, no matter what system type, would always get the filled yin yang (seems I can't do this at this moment), and rectangular ducts would get a "section" symbol (see the attached picture). Oval ducts would get a similar symbol, but RME2008 doesn't have such ducts!
Thanks.
Message 5 of 14
chirayu

well...till now the present symbols have worked perfectly fine...

but in one of our recent project, the client has shown square symbol for rise and drop of pipes...i know it sounds a bit weird...even i was amazed looking at those drawings...!!!

..once i had edited one of the XML file from program files to give a customized material to pipe instead of default copper, carbon steel...is there something similar which i can edit from program files to customize the symbols...?

thanks for the concern...
Message 6 of 14
KyleB_Autodesk

Joao,
There's currently no way to customize the display of Rise/Drop symbols. This touches on Revit MEP's intention as a design tool and not a drafting tool. As we design features for Revit MEP, we try and ensure that it is capable of conveying designed intent through generally accepted methods.

The design and development task is significantly larger when it includes providing the ability to fully customize the way that we convey design intent, which is really a drafting requirement.

Ultimately our goal is to get to a point where we support the BIM process for all disciplines and stages of an MEP project. This requires that we can do the following:

* Model the required systems for the MEP portion of the project.

* Facilitate the calculations required for the design of those systems; either through native calculations or interface with other applications.

* Coordinate the MEP systems with other disciplines on the project.

* Allow for other applications to leverage the data in the BIM for Upstream and Downstream purposes.

* Construction Documents that convey the designed intent of the MEP systems.

Adding in the requirement for those construction documents to have fully customizable graphical representations of the BIM elements is not a requirement of the above goals, and ultimately slows our progress towards our goal with the product.

That's not to say that we won't provide some of this functionality in the future once we reach our goal.

This is why I asked my original question. We are glad to investigate and try and implement functionality to allow you to convey designed intent, if we currently do not have that ability in the application.

I hope this helps you better understand the answer to your question.

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks Kyle for your answer.
I understand that major issues must be addressed before going into "fine-tuning". In fact, I can try to "force" my company to accept different symbols, as long as they are clearly documented in the projects - this means having a detailed legend showing and explaining the symbols for supply (cross), return (slash) and exhaust (wye), as these symbols are somehow strange to people in my country (Portugal). Perhaps they will be well accepted!
Thanks again for your help.
Message 8 of 14
twhite1359

Can not get ductwork risers to display in plan view.
See the ductwork in section views.
Message 9 of 14
wilsonmm

Not oval duct? are you kidding me?, what was Autodesk thinking, oval duct have less friction loss than retangular duct;
we use them a lot in hospitals and large building,
I have a rectangular duct but with square connectors, is there any way to change it to oval????
Message 10 of 14
cwade

The rise/drop for ductwork do not adequately show the design intent, as there is no distinction between rising and dropping shown, this doesn't work very well to show intent. Also, remember companies have drafting standards, while Revit may not be intended as a drafting tool, but rather a design tool, remember that it still needs to be able to do the drafting work properly, without being able to produce quality drawings Revit is not an adequate tool. Bottom line is the exact symbol should not matter too much, but we need to be able to control rise and drop, but also we need to maintain quality as well. Bottom line is the better the quality of the drawings, the fewer RFIs we will have. For example, not have landings on the leaders make it easier to confuse with other objects. Again, drafting quality is EXTREMELY important when it comes to design intent, they go hand in hand; without quality, design intent cannot be properly shown.
Message 11 of 14
jason.martin

The application does make a distinction between rising and dropping. Please
see http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5794486 for a
description of how this works.

jason

"cmwade77" wrote in message news:6004632@discussion.autodesk.com...
> The rise/drop for ductwork do not adequately show the design intent, as
> there is no distinction between rising and dropping shown, this doesn't
> work very well to show intent. Also, remember companies have drafting
> standards, while Revit may not be intended as a drafting tool, but rather
> a design tool, remember that it still needs to be able to do the drafting
> work properly, without being able to produce quality drawings Revit is not
> an adequate tool. Bottom line is the exact symbol should not matter too
> much, but we need to be able to control rise and drop, but also we need to
> maintain quality as well. Bottom line is the better the quality of the
> drawings, the fewer RFIs we will have. For example, not have landings on
> the leaders make it easier to confuse with other objects. Again, drafting
> quality is EXTREMELY important when it comes to design intent, they go
> hand in hand; without quality, design intent cannot be properly shown.
Message 12 of 14
simon.ng
in reply to: jason.martin

I would like to follow up this question and hope there is improvement on Revit after 5 years.  In Hong Kong, there used to be a government standard for rise/drop symbol.  It can be an obstacle to implement Revit if the symbol cannot be exactly the same so that Revit produced drawings get rejected. (though the Revit symbol is close to, see attachment)

Message 13 of 14
marcowip

Having read through this rather old thread, I'm also looking to customize the rise/drop symbols.

I work for an architectural practice and the pipe tool is particularly powerfull to design/coordinate the drainage systems for architectural purposes. As such, we need a symbol representing SVP's, WVP's, RWP's, VP's, etc.

Previously we used simple vertical families, but the pipe system allows much more advanced design allowing various routing directions in one continuous run. We're now working in Revit 2015 and this still doesn't seem to allow editing of the pipe symbols...

Any update as to when this may become a feature?

Message 14 of 14
dannett2B232
in reply to: marcowip

Well, it's 2017 and I am using REVIT 2017 and this rather simple issue has not been resolved. Come on AutoDesk, REVIT is as much a drafting tool as a design tool. Otherwise, what is the point of using it if I can not convey my design intent to the contractors tendering on the project and trying to build it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report