Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTRL+V changes value

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
tbrown6608
372 Views, 9 Replies

CTRL+V changes value

Whenever I am drawing and connecting my ducts, I have to constantly check what elevatoin different ducts were drawn at. I find that when you copy (ctrl+c) the offset value from the toolbar (or whatever its called) and paste (ctrl+v) into the same box on the toolbar, it changes the value to something seemingly random. For examply I use ctrl+c to copy the offset of a duct at 11'-5 109/256" and when I paste it into the box, it reads correctly but then immediately changes to 20'-6".

I do know that I can paste into the properties offset box and that'll work, I just wanted to throw this out there. I couldn't find a post on it, and it's cearly a mistake that should be fixed. Although it could be a problem isolated to just the computers in my office.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
RAMasterson
in reply to: tbrown6608

You're not alone...I get the same behaviour. I just work around it by copy/pasting thru the properties palette.

Message 3 of 10
SteveKStafford

When you enter a value on the options bar sometimes the focus remains on the Options Bar when you move your cursor back to the drawing window. If you use the middle scroll wheel to zoom in the drawing window the focus might still be on the value you entered in the Options Bar and the scrolling action scrolls to a different value. If this is what is happening then use the middle button to pan the view first, then scroll to zoom.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 4 of 10
tbrown6608
in reply to: SteveKStafford

I've ran into that too, but that is a different issue than what I am talking about. When I paste the offset value into the box, it will read the value I copied, but as soon as I move my cursor out of the box, it changes the value to something else.

Message 5 of 10
SteveKStafford

Might be project units are not as fine as the value you are pasting. That can affect pipe size selection for example.
My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 6 of 10
tbrown6608
in reply to: SteveKStafford

My project units are set to 1/256", and its adding almost 10' to the value I want, so it couldn't be anything with the units. Plus, if I type in the exact same value as I pasted, it allows it. I think it's just a Revit problem, I wonder if Autodesk is aware of it. I just wanna know how Revit can differentiate between values typed into the box and values pasted into the box.

Message 7 of 10
SteveKStafford

It would help the support staff, that frequent these forums, if you could capture a short video of it happening. The copy paste stuff at its core is an implementation of the operating system's tools so it may be related to the fussiness of the value getting pasted. In a sense it is rejecting the value and using whatever is already in the list, perhaps the closest leading digit(s)? You don't mention which version you are using, are you using the latest build available? Hotfixes applied?
Message 8 of 10
tbrown6608

I finally solved this one... sort of (can't believe it's already almost been 3 years since this first post) I had begun a habit of pasting all values into properties and when a newer user in my office brought this strange behavior up to me I noticed something I never caught before. When pasting a value into the offset box in the toolbar (not the properties window) what happens is only so many values are pasted, the last few are cut off. So copying a value of 10'  9 51/256" gets pasted as 10'  9 51/25; the last 2 values do come in. Revit then converts the fraction of 51/25 and then entire value gets changed to 10'  11 5/128".

Now for the matter of why Revit doesn't register these last 2 values when pasting into the toolbar box...

We can avoid the issue by only using the properties window, as RAMasterson suggests, just wanted to share what I've found. Maybe it'll be fixed in 2019, eh?

Message 9 of 10
RAMasterson

Nice observation tbrown6608.

Thanks

Whether or not it gets fixed anytime soon...stay tuned.

Message 10 of 10
RobDraw
in reply to: RAMasterson

I too have found that limit in the number of characters. When I come across a limitation and there is another way to do what I want, I do what works.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report