Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crop View of Linked CAD

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
bvanallen
39515 Views, 3 Replies

Crop View of Linked CAD

Is it possible to crop a view of a linked CAD drawing on a sheet?

I know you can use the crop view tool to limit the viewport on a sheet for a level plan in revit, but I can't seem to get this potion when bringing a linked cad background into a sheet.

FYI- Our office has several categorized master drawing sheets with many, many similar details (lighting controls, power details, comm details, etc). This way we can keep track of our master details more easily & if necessary make changes to dozens of details at once. We simply copy out the exact details we need for a certain project. However; It doesn't seem we can do this in Revit without actually making hundreds of individual drawing details. I'd like to avoid this if possible and just bring in the whole master drawing then crop (x-clip) the detail views I need in it.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: bvanallen

No, you can only crop Views. Ideally, it would be great to be able to crop and create dependents from Drafting Views, but alas, one cannot. If you are aiming to keep your master details in a single CAD file, then I would say create a new Plan View, turn off all Model Categories and Revit Links, and Import your CAD file (not link). That way it will only show in that View. Then you can crop, create dependent views, then drop them on your sheets.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (2)
Message 3 of 4
bvanallen
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks, that another goot tip for tricking Revit to work as it's needed to. 

Message 4 of 4
draft1
in reply to: bvanallen

This seems like a great solution to a problem that I was just wrestling with, but it seems to give birth to a new dilemma:

How do you make a section marker reference the dependent view that "hosts" the CAD detail (or, at the very least, make them reference the detail & sheet number where said detail is placed)?

I'm guessing it requires creating a new section-cut family with (non-intelligent) editable text that does not include an assigned parameter (if that's possible).

I believe this is the same issue being addressed in this discussion:

http://www.revitforum.org/structure-family-creation/6208-section-mark-added-text.html

Not sure if all of this is just swimming against the current.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report