Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new level in Revit 2014 (MEP section)

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
carina.ahnfeldt
23258 Views, 9 Replies

Creating a new level in Revit 2014 (MEP section)

Hello!

I started designing a house in Revit 2014. I started with the architectural template. Now I need to inserts pipes etc so I linked the architectural model to the Mep part of the program. The problem now is that in the mep part I cannot seem to create new levels. At least those don't appear in the different views. I need to insert pipes etc in a couple of floors so I really have a problem now.

How can I connect the different templates and how can I create new levels in the MEP Part to be able to insert all necessary elements?

Greetings Carry

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: carina.ahnfeldt

Hello Carry, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

So, you have created a new Project (using the Mechanical Template, I'll assume) and then linked the Architectural Project into this one, right? First off, if you haven't already, read up on Copy/Monitor in Revit Help to learn how to properly keep the Levels in the MEP coordinated with those in the Architectural Link.

Anyway, if you did use the Mechanical Template, there should be two Levels to start with in the Project. The Levels are probably not showing up because they do not pass though the visibility range of the Section View. See image below. In your Section View, you should be able to see the Levels by setting "Far Clipping" (under Properties) to "No clip", then you can use the grips to stretch the endpoints of the Level as required. Don't hesitate to post if you encounter any difficulties.

LevelExtents.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
carina.ahnfeldt
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hello Corey,

I did manage to follow that copy explanation from the link u sent me and the levels do show up in the drawing area. My problem still is, that the different levels don't show up in the project browser. That means e.g. if I select electrical for example it doesn't show the linked levels. I need to put all details like electrics, pipes and stuff in all floors and I can't as the project browser doesn't show the relevant floor plans for that.

That means in the different sections it only shows one level, 3D view and in some cases the elevation view. How can I make it show all previously selected levels from the architectural view in the project browser of the different sections in Revit MEP.

Greetings Carry

Message 4 of 10
CoreyDaun

The Views are just sorted differently in the Project Browser between the Architectural and Mechanical Templates. You can right-click on "Views" at the top of the Project Browser and then select "Browser Organization..." to customize the way the Views are sorted. By default, the Mechanical Template is sorted by "Discipline", which includes the use of a pre-made Project Parameter called "Sub-Discipline".

In order to create new Views, go to View tab » Plan Views ▼ Floor Plan. You will likely have to uncheck the box for "Do not duplicate existing views" at the bottom in order to get the Levels to show up in the list.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 10
carina.ahnfeldt

Okay  now the floors show up in the project browser but only under the coordination tab. What I'd like:

I wanna have all floors for each section like in electrics have e.g. ground floor, first floor and second floor. Right now if I sort the views to the different levels it shows the levels and when I open the tab it shows coordination and the relevant floor. Id like the following structure:

Views

- First Floor

- Electrics

- Pipes

- Heaters....

Or e.g.

Views

- Electrics

- First Floor

- Second Floor

That way I wanna have several floor plans for each level with the different mechanical.

Do you understand my problem? Is that possible?

Message 6 of 10

And another problem is that in the views I got out of the architectural version I cannot change the details...

Message 7 of 10
CoreyDaun

Each of the Views contain a Parameter called "Discipline". Include this under the 'Grouping and Sorting' tab of the Browser Organization Properties OR just include the Sub-Discipline parameter*. See image below. Also note that you cannot name your Views simply "Level 1", as you cannot have identical View Names in your Project. You will have to add some kind of designation, such as "Level 1 - Mech".

If you wish to sort by Level, then just add that to the Grouping/Sorting. Fiddle with the settings until you get a result that you're satisfied with.

*When you go to Properties for a View, if the pull-down list does not contain the desired Sub-Discipline, you can just type whatever value you want for that parameter.

ProjectBrowserSort.JPG

**edited image

carina.ahnfeldt wrote:

"And another problem is that in the views I got out of the architectural version I cannot change the details..."

Sorry, I don't quite follow you on this one. Can you elaborate on how you got the Views from the architectural version? Did you set the View to "By Linked View" under V/G Overrides?

Message 8 of 10
carina.ahnfeldt

Okay that brings me one step further. I managed to get all the floors in the different sections. Now the problem I have in the Details window of the new floors I cannot change most of the details. Like the scale for example.

The pipes are displayed quite ugly and hard to work with in the other model I could change all details, put another scale etc.

Most of the details in the floor detail window are grey and I cannot click them.

Message 9 of 10
CoreyDaun

OK - That's a matter of View Templates. Your Views likely have a View Template assigned to them (found under Properties) which is locking the Visibility Settings. You can either remove the View Template (set it to "none") or create/alter the discipline-specific View Templates to customize your Views.

Message 10 of 10
carina.ahnfeldt

Thank you very much with the explanations I could solve the problem!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report