Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a family that can rotate in the Z direction

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ArynBergman
1069 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a family that can rotate in the Z direction

I need to create a family for patch panels that can vary in their vertical mounting angle.  The family needs to rotate in the Z (elevation) direction and needs to have the overall dimensions be defined by Type Parameters.  I've gotten the UnitWidth and the UnitHeight working, but as soon as I apply a dimension to the depth (see the attached image), the mounting rotation stops working.

Any ideas to how to fix it?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ArynBergman

You're probably best off creating the extrusion and the sizing constraints in a separate family, loading into a host family, and controlling the rotation of the nested family from there. It may be a little tedious to get the hang of this, but there may be some tutorials or guides on YouTube specifically pertaining to rotating components.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
ArynBergman
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I searched every term that I could think of for rotating families and nested families and couldn't find anything.  If you know of one off of the top of your head, could you please provide it?

I also tried on my own to bring in the geometry through a nested family and rotating it by aligning it to the planes that are rotating in the host family, but I'm still not have any luck.  The planes will rotate but without the nested family.

Do you have have an example family that I could have to pick apart and learn from?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
CoreyDaun

No, I don't know of any guides off hand.

I do have something somewhere as an example, but I'll have to find it. I should have it and post it tomorrow

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
CoreyDaun

Attached is an example Family created in Revit 2013 format (image below). The Family has three instances of a nested Family that tilt according to a user-inputted angle. The rotation of the component is controlled within the Nested Family via Reference Planes. The Extrusions are hosted to a named Reference Plane that is controlled by an Angle Constraint.

RotatingRightElev.JPG

Note that if the default value of the Angle is set to 0 in the Nested Family, then the Family freaks out and the constraints get broken. I have encountered this behavior quite frequently with Revit.

Just ask if you need any assistance!

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 9
ArynBergman

That's exactly what I needed.  Thanks!!

Message 7 of 9
ArynBergman

Just a heads up for others who need this kind of functionality in thier families; aligning and locking Model Text (in the Rack.fra) to a surface/plane that needs to rotate leads to all kinds of funky behavior.  The behavior ranges from the model text becoming visually out of alignment to breaking the models ability to rotate.

Message 8 of 9
CoreyDaun

Yeah, the Model Text does act pretty erratically, doesn't it? Throwing it on there was just a last minute thought in an attempt to add some clarity to the example. Normal Extrusion should not suffer from this same behavior.

However, if one does have to use Model Text, it seems that Grouping the Model Text element and then constraining it forces it to function more appropriately. Attached is the modified Family. The Model Text has also been beaten and flogged so it should behave better.

On a side note, I recommend that when modeling the rotating component, assign the Angle Constraints to the Reference Places last. It's too easy to break it during creation. In this example, if you open the nested Family and change the Angle to 0°, it seems fine but as soon as the Angle is set to anything else, you'll see it leads to errors. Also, if the angle is set to a negative value, more errors. However, once it's loaded into a Family, the angle can be set to just about anything without any errors. Instability is fun, isn't it?

Message 9 of 9
ArynBergman

One trick to overcoming (in most situations) the whole zero degree angle issue is to add a "handle" reference that is perpindicular to the plane that you want to be able to rotate.  Add a angle parameter that is +90 deg from the angle that you worry about zeroing out. Ghetto?  Yes, but it useful in certain situation.

Instability is a royal pai- time suck.  Assigning the angle last...I could only image how long it took you to figure that particular Revit dance out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report