Revit MEP

Revit MEP

Contributor
KEOSTE
Message 1 of 11 (4,458 Views)
Accepted Solution

Create a new system classification within a family?

4458 Views, 10 Replies
09-25-2012 06:43 AM

I was wondering if it is possible to create a new system classification within a family.

For example I would like to add a duct connector to my model and assign it to a fresh air system classifaction but  there is only

Supply Air, Return Air, Exhaust Air, Other Air, Fitting & Global available to choose from and I cant find where I can add a custom system.

Any help on this would be greatly recieved

Cheers

Ste

Thanks for the image.

Perhaps my previous explanation was not clear. You don't need to add a duct system type to the connector other than the preset list (even though you can't anyway).

A fresh air duct system is the same as a lobby pressurisation system which is the same as a general supply air system - they are all classified as supply air and hence work in the same manner.

All you need to do is decide which connectors are supply air, whihc is a return air and which is an exhaust. Then set the flow direction, configuration etc. as required to get the information to flow in the right direction in your duct system.

When you load the family in the model, you can then duct it up using the Fresh Air duct type and hopefully you will get you flow rate to populate from the equipment to the fresh air intake louvre.

Active Contributor
tjbeecher
Message 2 of 11 (4,453 Views)

Re: Create a new system classification within a family?

09-25-2012 07:35 AM in reply to: KEOSTE

You can creat a new duct system under the families/ductsystems. right click on a system click on duplicate then click on new system you created then edit the type properties of the new system you created.

Valued Mentor
julianjameson8403
Message 3 of 11 (4,444 Views)

09-25-2012 08:26 AM in reply to: tjbeecher

Why would you want to create a new classification in the family as you can't do that in a model??

I think you are getting confused between system classification and system type.

The classifications are core to the piping and ducting system and are a set list.

You can however have different types of system based on the core classifications.

For example - check your Fresh air duct system - it is classification Supply air. That's because no matter what type of supply air system you have it still just supplies air and doesn't exhaust, etc.

So for your AHU you just need the correct core classifications set with the right parameters then when you load into your model you can then conenct any type of supply air system to it.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Contributor
KEOSTE
Message 4 of 11 (4,442 Views)

09-25-2012 08:32 AM in reply to: tjbeecher

Hi, thank you for you reply.

I have added new systems in the way you explained before while creating a project but I require the new system to be available in the family editor but i am not able to add it in the same way as in a project. I would like to add a fresh air sytem to where is shown on the image attached.  Hope the image explains a bit clearer

Thanks

Active Contributor
tjbeecher
Message 5 of 11 (4,436 Views)

09-25-2012 08:36 AM in reply to: KEOSTE

You can't create a new system with in a family model. My previous post was confused my apologies.

Valued Mentor
julianjameson8403
Message 6 of 11 (4,435 Views)

09-25-2012 08:40 AM in reply to: KEOSTE

Thanks for the image.

Perhaps my previous explanation was not clear. You don't need to add a duct system type to the connector other than the preset list (even though you can't anyway).

A fresh air duct system is the same as a lobby pressurisation system which is the same as a general supply air system - they are all classified as supply air and hence work in the same manner.

All you need to do is decide which connectors are supply air, whihc is a return air and which is an exhaust. Then set the flow direction, configuration etc. as required to get the information to flow in the right direction in your duct system.

When you load the family in the model, you can then duct it up using the Fresh Air duct type and hopefully you will get you flow rate to populate from the equipment to the fresh air intake louvre.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Contributor
KEOSTE
Message 7 of 11 (4,428 Views)

09-25-2012 08:52 AM in reply to: julianjameson8403

Thanks thats a great help. As you said i was getting confused between systems & there classifications but make sense now that you expained it.  

Thanks again for all replies. Great forum !

Cheers

Ste

Matthew_Lohden
Message 8 of 11 (4,303 Views)

11-01-2012 05:14 PM in reply to: KEOSTE

I am having a similar problem with the plumbing families. I am using floor drains to feed into the storm drain system but there is no system classification for storm drains. I can accept (reluctantly) that all waste water can be classed as "Sanitary', but this isn't really my problem.

I want to set the system type to the Storm Drain type that I created under Piping Systems but I can't change this setting in either the system model nor in the family editor. The parts are set to "Other" and greyed out and unchangeable in both cases. Is there some way this can be unlocked? What am I missing? 

kenan.coetzee
Message 9 of 11 (3,519 Views)

08-27-2013 03:37 AM in reply to: Matthew_Lohden
has anyone solved this issue?
*Expert Elite*
abulla
Message 10 of 11 (3,506 Views)

08-27-2013 07:45 AM in reply to: kenan.coetzee

"Other" is the connector type you should be using. This will inherit the system of anything connected to the family. No need to re-create the system types within the family itself.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.