Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a new system classification within a family?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
KEOSTE
20690 Views, 14 Replies

Create a new system classification within a family?

I was wondering if it is possible to create a new system classification within a family.

For example I would like to add a duct connector to my model and assign it to a fresh air system classifaction but  there is only

Supply Air, Return Air, Exhaust Air, Other Air, Fitting & Global available to choose from and I cant find where I can add a custom system.

Any help on this would be greatly recieved

Cheers

Ste

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
tjbeecher
in reply to: KEOSTE

You can creat a new duct system under the families/ductsystems. right click on a system click on duplicate then click on new system you created then edit the type properties of the new system you created.

Message 3 of 15

Why would you want to create a new classification in the family as you can't do that in a model??

I think you are getting confused between system classification and system type.

The classifications are core to the piping and ducting system and are a set list.

You can however have different types of system based on the core classifications.

For example - check your Fresh air duct system - it is classification Supply air. That's because no matter what type of supply air system you have it still just supplies air and doesn't exhaust, etc.

So for your AHU you just need the correct core classifications set with the right parameters then when you load into your model you can then conenct any type of supply air system to it.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 4 of 15
KEOSTE
in reply to: tjbeecher

Hi, thank you for you reply.

I have added new systems in the way you explained before while creating a project but I require the new system to be available in the family editor but i am not able to add it in the same way as in a project. I would like to add a fresh air sytem to where is shown on the image attached.  Hope the image explains a bit clearer

Thanks

Message 5 of 15
tjbeecher

You can't create a new system with in a family model. My previous post was confused my apologies.

Message 6 of 15
julianjameson8403

Thanks for the image.

Perhaps my previous explanation was not clear. You don't need to add a duct system type to the connector other than the preset list (even though you can't anyway).

A fresh air duct system is the same as a lobby pressurisation system which is the same as a general supply air system - they are all classified as supply air and hence work in the same manner.

All you need to do is decide which connectors are supply air, whihc is a return air and which is an exhaust. Then set the flow direction, configuration etc. as required to get the information to flow in the right direction in your duct system.

When you load the family in the model, you can then duct it up using the Fresh Air duct type and hopefully you will get you flow rate to populate from the equipment to the fresh air intake louvre.

Thank you!
Message 7 of 15
KEOSTE
in reply to: julianjameson8403

Thanks thats a great help. As you said i was getting confused between systems & there classifications but make sense now that you expained it.  

Thanks again for all replies. Great forum !

Cheers

Ste

Message 8 of 15
Matthew_Lohden

I am having a similar problem with the plumbing families. I am using floor drains to feed into the storm drain system but there is no system classification for storm drains. I can accept (reluctantly) that all waste water can be classed as "Sanitary', but this isn't really my problem.

I want to set the system type to the Storm Drain type that I created under Piping Systems but I can't change this setting in either the system model nor in the family editor. The parts are set to "Other" and greyed out and unchangeable in both cases. Is there some way this can be unlocked? What am I missing? 

Message 9 of 15

has anyone solved this issue?
Message 10 of 15
abulla
in reply to: kenan.coetzee

"Other" is the connector type you should be using. This will inherit the system of anything connected to the family. No need to re-create the system types within the family itself.

Message 11 of 15
julianjameson8403

Other is not the right one to use unless it matches the connectors in the families, which it probably won't. Other is generally used for gas, medical gas, compressed air, etc.
People seem to be getting too hung up on the basic system groups. Although sanitary may make you think of dirty water drainage, it is just a name used to cover drainage. Therefore it is the most suitable for rainwater drainage. It only does basic discharge unit calcs so no good for rainwater. However when scheduling the drainage systems, you will get all the types in your project in one schedule rather than using two types of schedule.
So, with regards to adding to your families - no need to worry about it as you just need to make sure that the basic system group type is applied correctly. I.e HVAC piping use Hydronic supply or return, SVP or RWP use sanitary, Vent pipes use vent, etc.
You also need to make sure that you set up the various system types with the correct basic system groups in your project & template.

Thank you!
Message 12 of 15

Hi Friend,

Thank for your guide line but we know ready about this duct system creation,Actually, we want to know that system classification is inside the family.That mean for duct connector system classification.Please Look below picture.Capture.PNG

Message 13 of 15

Not quite sure what you are asking but the overall thread explains the difference between system classifications and system types. Fmailies only contain system classifications and the models contain the system types based on the system classifcations.

Thank you!
Message 14 of 15

I am making a family for a balancing valve.  On the inlet side of the valve I have "Domestic Hot Water" system classification.  I would like to make the outlet "Domestic Hot Water Return".  Are you saying there is no way to make a system classification in the family in order to do this?  This is how I made a connector element family to change piping from "Sanitary" to "Vent", which are both included as system classifications in the family.   

Message 15 of 15
julianjameson8403

That is what is being said. There is no need to make the system sub type in the family. That is all done when you uae the famiky in the model. You need to set the connector properties correctly based on the engineering requirements and the position of the element in relation to the system. I.e for your valve -
dhw flow typically in & preset and return typically out and preset.
Connectors aren't just for changing piping properties, they are primarily there for creating systems and secondary use for calculations.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report