Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/monitor Mechanical Equipment into an Electrical model

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
aschneider1
3246 Views, 13 Replies

Copy/monitor Mechanical Equipment into an Electrical model

I have a piece of Mechanical Equipment I have Copy/Monitored from the mechanical engineer's model into my electrical model.  I want the values he has entered for Voltage and the Type Mark to come over.  If I select to Copy the original component, nothing comes over.  If I enter the Voltage information into the Family and use that as the replacement, it works.  However, I can only do that for the Voltage, not the Type Mark (in the Family itself through Family Editor).  

Is it possible to bring the values over from the mechanical engineer if he enters the information in the object in his model?  I would think that when I select to Copy Original, that would include all the values he has entered?  Do I have to just go ahead and replace values when I Copy/Monitor the mechanical equipment?  That seems like work is being done twice, if the mechanical engineer has already entered in the information?

Adrianna Schneider, LEED AP
AEC Solutions Engineer

:

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
CoreyDaun
in reply to: aschneider1

Go to Collaborate Tab » Copy/Monitor ▼ Select Link » Coordination Settings. In this dialog box you can change the Mapping Behavior of Mechanical Equipment to "Specify Type Mapping" to carry over the mentioned information.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 14
aschneider1
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yes, that was done.  However, some of the values still do not come over...they are not user created parameters, but out of the box, so I am unsure of how to get them to come over automatically, rather than re-entering the information after I have done the original Copy/Monitor.

AEC Solutions Engineer

:

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 4 of 14
CoreyDaun

In experimenting, I see that if the Type Mark is changed in the Linked project, then it does not register the difference in the Host. Coordination Review does not catch it either. Also verified this behavior with Number of Poles parameter, which is crucial. This function does not hold any value if it does not track changes to the monitored Types. You may have to create schedules to compare the two for changes, which would require manual upkeep.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 14
aschneider1
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you!  Although I am glad I wasn't doing anything wrong, it's too bad this isn't part of the Copy/Monitor functionality.  Thanks, again!

AEC Solutions Engineer

:

Message 6 of 14
adam.jw

*sigh* I was excited to do this on our big jobs. Where even in-house we have large multi-story buildings, and to put both the Mechanical and Electrical models together really hinders performance.

So I guess I'll have to wait until C/M truly brings in all the parameters from my MechEs. 

in reply to: adam.jw

"put both the Mechanical and Electrical models together really hinders performance."

Mechanical almost always has the largest revit model and sometimes needs to be split up (in a logical manner, such as due to the layout or hydronic systems and air systems).  Putting both mechanical and electrical models together might be ok for a little shack. 

My guess is that the hindering performance (due to an extremely large file) is not even your (or your users') worst problem.

Message 8 of 14
estepoleas

Hello,

Would you be so kind on explaing step by step this?. I dont understand how to "copy monitor" seems there are many ways. it would be very helpfull, it is really frsutratin this thing of chamging the hose family in revit... what is you want to put a ligth fixure into a concrete slab?, not a cilling?... I have been traing for 4 hours now, and I get stuck at the copy monitor step.

Many thanks!

P.

Message 9 of 14
CoreyDaun
in reply to: estepoleas

Hello,

What version/release of Revit MEP are you using?

Message 10 of 14
aschneider1

The purpose of Copy/Monitor is to replace a linked in object with your own object in the same location the linked object is in. So, if you want to put it in a slab, rather than a ceiling, you would simply place the object there. If you are placing an object on a hosting element, make sure the element being hosted is face based, not ceiling, wall, or floor hosted.
AEC Solutions Engineer

:

Message 11 of 14
estepoleas

Hello, first, thank you,
I am using a student revit architectural 2013.
When i try to copy monitor the lights fixtures, it simply don allow me to, just walls, ceilings and other elements but not light fixtures. I guess i will make my own light fixture from scratch, face base... I will have to lear how to do it with embedded symbol.

I wish i could find a good place that explains how to make a family with 2d symbols, like the electrical fixtures that come i the revit content base library.
Message 12 of 14
estepoleas

I understand that,thank you, but, why cant lights fixtures cant be copy monitoring?
Message 13 of 14
aschneider1

You cannot Copy/Monitor using Revit Architecture 2013. You have to use Revit MEP, or the OneBox version of Revit 2013, that has all the flavors of Revit in one program.

Regarding 2D Symbols, these are annotation families that are embedded in the Light Fixture families.
AEC Solutions Engineer

:

Message 14 of 14
estepoleas

Ho, .. Thank you, i understand now. I am looking for a good tutorial or book that explain how to construct families with this embedded 2D symbols.
Much thanks for you fast response. (I really love REVIT) it has improve in so many ways the way people produce and think about architecture.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report