Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert E-panel to different type

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
HVAC-Novice
706 Views, 3 Replies

Convert E-panel to different type

I added clearances to a ootb 208V-MCB-surface Panel. I made quite some effort to have it make code compliant electrical and work spaces and also allows me to off-center the work space etc.

Now I don't want to repeat the same task for the 480V, flush and MLO panels. That would be 16 families in total.... seems a waste of time to do the same thing 16 times. Is there a way to convert this panel  to a different type? I couldn't see how it knows the voltage and the MLO/MCB difference. I assume this is hard-coded? Typically my plan is to have fewer families that can have more functions. Ideally i come up with one panel family that can include all of the above.

The electrical connector seems to have the Voltage Information. So I may be able to have a parameter to control voltage. I didn't see any sort of indication for MLO/MCB.

I think i could make the family to be both flush and surface-mount since that doesn't impact electrical calculations.

I also wonder if I could have nested panel families. To achieve the above.

I'm not an electrical engineer, and haven't really used Revit for load calcs. And I fear one of my ideas may have unintended consequences when it comes to accurate load calculations.

Revit version: R2024.2
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

While is possible to combine everything into a single Family, I would suggest at least keeping them in separate Families according to voltage. I've seen and heard (posted in the past) some strange behaviors when trying to change the voltage of a Panel Element in the Project. I will attach one of my parametric Panel Family's as an example (Revit 2013), in case it helps with your parametrics (i.e. surface/recessed control, clearances).

MLO/MCB are not intelligent Parameters, they are entirely user-controlled. Revit does not "know" anything in itself about these parameters. As a small example, a panel should not be able to have a MCB rating that is higher than its MLO rating, but Revit will allow it without question.

Regarding the electrical calculations, the majority of engineers I know do not trust Revit's abilities. I would suggest searching this forums as well as others (such as AUGI.com) for more info and opinions on this issue.

Regarding the use of nested Families, if they are marked as "Shared" (under Family Type and Parameters), then they will be treated as independent elements in the Project, but there are limitations and complications to this. I would suggest reading up on this topic in Revit Help and searching for more info here.

If I haven't fully or adequately answered any of your questions, don't hesitate to say so!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks, Corey. Your advice, as usual, is very good.

I take a stab at creating one "universal" family for 208 V and one for 480 V based on the original 208 and 480 V panels.

I'll look more into the load calculation in Revit. As you say this shouldn't be entirely trusted, especially with the different NEC rules for the load.

I also didn't find out how to calculate lighting load since NEC wants us to use a W/ft² number, which is different from the actual fixtures installed.

Message 4 of 4
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

I created a generic 208V and a 480 V panel family. They can be recessed and I also added "Working Space" and "Electrical Space" per NEC 110. I managed to include the Table 110.26 classification to calculate the working space depth and also added a feature to off-center the working space.

I tried them in my project and they seem to work.

As far as load calc go, I saw in my panel schedules at least up to the panel (branches) it seems to be correct. I also noticed voltage drop is correct based on the lengths (obviously they could be different long in real life).

I wonder if i can prescribe a specific minimum wire size regardless of voltage. I wasn't able to edit the standard wire sizes (i.e. #12 for 20A). Typically we only use #10 for 20A up to 150'and larger for longer lengths. Because the voltage drop calculation only assumes the 180 VA, which may not reflect actual load.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report