Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control visibility of spaces for outdoor lighting

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
HVAC-Novice
394 Views, 3 Replies

Control visibility of spaces for outdoor lighting

For normal families I can use object styles to separate them to make them visible in different ways. I wonder if something like that can be done for spaces?

I want to use spaces outside my building to track w/ft² of outdoor lighting (and to show code compliance etc.). This actually works to my surprise and I can schedule what I need. But I also want to show a color legend so one can see the outdoor areas in question. But I have a hard time hiding the interior spaces (which are moot for the exterior lighting power density).

I was able to filter them out and my filter criterium is to have ceiling reflectance 0%, assuming indoor spaces don't have 0%. 

I know, this is arbitrary, but this is how I get a separate space schedule for the exterior lighting. I noticed the view filter gives me dozens of space parameters to filter through, including project parameters I created. But the schedule filter only allows a few hard-coded parameter to filter. That's how I settled on he Ceilign reflectance to filter.

The actual lighting calcs for outdoor I perform in a different software in link the dwg with the fc- data in and manually enter the uniformity, min. fc. and other required data. But at least the power density could be done in Revit with the fixtures placed. Where I'm code requires to show the fc-values point-by-point, max. average fc, min. fc, uniformity and power density.

Or do you have any other ideas to perform outdoor calcs while showing all the code-required data?

Revit version: R2024.2
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I want just make sure I understood your question,

You are looking for an easy way to apply 2 different colors (Interior vs exterior) for color legend

is there a print screenshot or an image to have a better idea of the final result

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
Message 3 of 4

I want to be able to make certain spaces invisible. The attached screenshot shows the exterior spaces (for outdoor lighting)  but not the interior spaces (as they are not relevant for exterior lighting review. The way I did that is assign 0% ceiling reflectance to the exterior spaces and filtered the view to only show spaces with 0% ceiling reflectance. This is more a workaround and only works under the assumption no interior spaces have 0% ceiling reflectance. (I could have picked some other parameter of course)

My original idea, and my question, was to create different space types and make the visible based on that. For example make a space be "outdoor"or "indoor". But it seems Revit only has the hard-coded space types it uses for energy simulation (i.e Office, auditorium etc.).

Alternatively I look for a way better than my workaround (I'm not too unhappy with it, though)

Revit version: R2024.2
Message 4 of 4

There is not Space type that could be created for now.

It could be always considered as an enhancement feature

Here is a link to log an enhancement feature

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

For now as an alternative Solution, you need to use an existing or create a New project parameter under spaces and use filters. Separate Exterior from Interior. 

Alaaeldin Alsahli

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report