Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Creation Rules

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
611 Views, 7 Replies

Content Creation Rules

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone knows of any rules or even
better any tutorials on creating mechanical content in Revit Systems
?

Any help much appreciated

Andre
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
zafar.ahmad
in reply to: Anonymous

Rules may differ person to person. Before starting the content creation you should know the basics and the tools for content creation.

then try to follow the following rules

Family Interface.JPG

1) Planning

2) Select the correct Template

3) Draw the reference plan and add the desired parameter to it.

4) Test the Parameter

5) Create the model.

6) load the model into Revit Project.

Message 3 of 8
kadmonkee

all revit content is based on these simple guides.

Revit uses family templates to properly set your category.

Revit uses Reference planes to allow the creator basicguides to follow (Skeleton)

Revit uses constraints to manage the reference planes of the family (Muscle)

Revit uses Massing (extrusions, Voids, Blends) which get constrained to the reference planes to create your object size and shape (Skin)

Revit uses Parameters which allow control over the Massing, Connectors, and other pieces of Information. (Brains)

sketch out on paper what you are attempting to create. cut sheets may help also

plan ahead after each step is set TEST IT and repeat often

use the link below for samples on youtube

REVIT FAMILIES MEP

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 4 of 8
zafar.ahmad
in reply to: kadmonkee

Hi Kadmonkee                    

Follow the following rules to be a good Content creator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghufZBjah2o&list=PLauYF3REhrHAc4jKahfaO41qcYw3lhPyi

Revit Family

Message 5 of 8
Sandleaz

I wonder if anyone knows of any rules

There are no rules.  Just do what you think is right when creating your Revit families.  

Message 6 of 8
kadmonkee
in reply to: zafar.ahmad

rules and procedures are not the same thing 

my suggestions (recommendations) were based on experience and knowledge

I have seen the video before its 6 years old

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 7 of 8
f.cornelius

There are some guidelines and procedures to build families correctly, but they differ from "standard" to "standard".

In the Netherlands the Dutch Revit User group (RevitGG) initiated the Dutch Revit Standards, which essentially became it's own foundation. Unfortunatly the site is currently only in Dutch. You can find the site here:

Dutch Revit Standards

There is also an iniatiative from a Dutch based company called StabiPlan which creates tools on AutoCAD and Revit. They have the European MEP Content Standard. You can find them here:

European MEP Content Standard

There is also the ILS (Informatie Leverings Standaard - translates to Information Delivery Standard). This specifies how to specify parameters in families for multiple Open BIM standards. The English version of the page can be found here:

ILS - English

As with all standards, they have good points, but bad ones as well. I usually take out the good points which work well for me and try to stay as close to native Revit as possible, while maintaining as much functionality in the family itself and towards open bim standards. In the end, you'll get a feeling what will work best for you in projects.

Message 8 of 8
Abin.Jose

@Anonymous You can find a document published by bimstore for Revit Content Creation Standards in below link:

https://storage.googleapis.com/bimstore-uploads/uk/uploads/software/bimstore-bible-v12.pdf

Also, you can have a look into the NBS BIM Object Standards in the below link:

https://www.nationalbimlibrary.com/nbs-bim-object-standard

These documents contains a set of rules or guidelines to be followed for Revit family creation for attaining there company standards, for example Parameter Naming, Type Naming, Family Naming etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report