Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraints not Satisfied error

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
nate0225
17950 Views, 6 Replies

Constraints not Satisfied error

I have been trying to create a Family for a basic water heater.  After creating the basic cylinder for the tank, I add an escutcheon tied to a height constraint I have created.  Then in the Ref. Level view I add a angle constraint to the escutcheon.  When I manually test it through the family types screen everything works fine and "flexes" as it should.  I then create 2 family types for different sized tanks.  For this the height and angle changes together.  I click apply for the second size and I get an error saying "Constraints are not satisfied."  I next added a third family type as a half step.  This type only changes the angle not the height.  So in order to get from Type 1 to Type 2 I need to click Type 1.5 and apply before going to Type 2 and apply.  This works great for my purposes, but When I create a more formal heater to be able to place on Seek or give to clients this is very impractical. 

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Attached the Family File, and the Error FIle.

Nathan Byle
Product Design Suite 2014
Product Design Suite 2015
Product Design Suite 2016
Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: nate0225

You may have to create a Reference Line, apply the Angular Dimension to that instead, and then Group your Family with said Reference Line. I haven't dug into this yet to confirm, but try tinkering with this method and see if you can get it to work.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
adam.jw

In addition. As a general tip for good family making --- make sure you periodically turn "Automatic Sketch Dimensions" on --- I can not emphasize enough how useful this is for figuring out how all your sketch lines, geometry, and reference planes relate to one another.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

in reply to: CoreyDaun

This seems to be working, though I am not sure why it wouldn't work the other way.  It seems with Revit you always have to find a "work around."  In this case as I had already changed my elements from face based to regular family types because the angle issue was even more prevalent there. 

Nathan Byle
Message 5 of 7
nate0225
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I have found the downfall to the grouping with a reference line work around.  When I do this, my pieces are no longer constrained to the axis of the heater.  I can grab the group and move it where ever I want.  This will not be good for submitting to Autodesk seek.  If anyone has any further ideas please let me know.

Nathan Byle
Message 6 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

You need to change your method of rotation. Rotation for generic families works well with nested families (work-plane based), and reference lines. You need 3 families. One for the accessory, another one, family 2, with instance parameters, for making the accessory rotate and move in our out from a center.  And, another one, family 3, which is the final host, the tank. You need to tie the instance parameters from family 2 to equivalent type parameters in family 3. In the final host, you need a named reference plane to host family 2, so that it moves up and down.

11-4-2013 7-20-44 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 7
nate0225
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

After placing the part within a family within the main family and adding a single parameter per level everything seems to be working properly now.

Tree-

Main Family(contains angle parameter)

-Sub Family (With height parameter)

-Part (with radial parameter)

(Note: Each parameter must be link to the Main Family, so you must have all parameters from the level below within the current level of the tree.)

Nathan Byle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report