Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connector flipping when parameter is rotated

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ceaves
577 Views, 7 Replies

Connector flipping when parameter is rotated

Hi, I’ve created a family of water heaters and some require a hot outlet at the top and some 90˚ to the left.

I placed the connector on the top face of the sweep (as you can see in the first screen shot) but, when I change the parameter to 90˚ the connector seems to flip to the other end and is placed in the center of the tank (as you can see in the second screen shot).

I’ve tried creating the sweep every way I can think of but, this is always the end result.

Using Revit MEP 2011.

Thanks in advance for any help.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ceaves

How are you controlling the rotation of that Sweep? I don't see any Angle Constraints in your image. The surest method I've found to rotate geometry is to Group it with a Reference Line, and then apply the Constraint to the nested Reference Line.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
ceaves
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I’ve added an angle dimension to the reference line, but when I add the Label parameter to the dimension it flips.

Message 4 of 8
CoreyDaun

Can you attach your Family file here? I do not have Revit 2011, but I will play around with it in Revit 2012. If your Family is too large to attach, send me a Private Message and I'll give you my email address.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 8
ceaves

Message 6 of 8
CoreyDaun

Alright - the angle constraints are acting a little funky. Instead of wrestling with that, I developed a work-around that will control the endpoint in the Sweep's Path with a pair of intersecting Reference Planes. Two "offset" Length Parameters must be created, and a formula assigned that change the value of one or the other Offset to 0" depending on the driving Angle Parameter. Below is a video explanation of what I'm talking about.

Message 7 of 8
ceaves

When you place the circle for the profile you snap to the endpoint of the sketch line, but I can't do that. I think it is something wrong with my visiblity settings. I have everything turned on, but I don't think I have all the options available to turn everything on.....see .pdf

Also, when you select and move the profile while in you are still in sketch path.....I'm not sure how you are doing that. I see a command at the top (propagate extents) that I don't have. Maybe it's a 2011-2012 difference.

Message 8 of 8
CoreyDaun

ceaves wrote:

"When you place the circle for the profile you snap to the endpoint of the sketch line, but I can't do that. I think it is something wrong with my visiblity settings. I have everything turned on, but I don't think I have all the options available to turn everything on.....see .pdf"

Can you place it at the center of the Profile, where the two Reference Planes Intersect? It doesn't have to snap to the endpoint of the Sketch Line.

ceaves wrote:

"Also, when you select and move the profile while in you are still in sketch path.....I'm not sure how you are doing that. I see a command at the top (propagate extents) that I don't have. Maybe it's a 2011-2012 difference."

What I did was click and drag the profile to the vertical segment of the Path (a 'click & drag' is indicated in the video by the continual blue coloring on the mouse icon). I do not recall if this functionality is available in Revit 2011, but if it's not, jest draw the vertical line first. The only purpose of that step it to align the Profile to the Ref. Level Plane so it's easier to draw. You don't have to do that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report