Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conduit Run Parameters

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
mikej
8843 Views, 20 Replies

Conduit Run Parameters

I have noticed that the only parameter that holds from conduit and conduit fittings to conduit run is comments.  I have tried to create a new shared parameter for the three categories, but it doesn't transfer from conduit and conduit fittings over to conduit runs.  I am trying to add and Id parameter that can be scheduled and used along side of the conduit run lengths.  We already use the comments to hold the panel information.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mikej

mikej
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
CoreyDaun
in reply to: mikej

You are correct, as there are no other common Parameters. Except.... "Type"! In this work-around, you will have to create a separate Conduit Type for each run. You do NOT have to do the same with the Conduit Fittings. Add "Type Name" to the Label in the Conduit Tag, and you can create a Conduit Run Schedule by "Type". See example image below:

ConduitSchedules.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (2)
Message 3 of 21
mikej
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I thought about that approach, but we use the types for the type of conduit, Rigid, EMT, IMC, PVC etc.

mikej
Message 4 of 21
CoreyDaun

My brief investigations lead me to believe that this is the only other common factor that would work here. As you mentioned in the beginning, adding Project or Shared Parameters will not work.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 21
Chris.Aquino

During my testing I was able to apply a Shared Parameter to Conduit, Conduit Fittings, and Conduit Runs, so that the runs and individual elements can show the run name.

Here is a short video:

http://screencast.com/t/LTCasNHQZ

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 6 of 21
dennis
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Chris, thanks for the video.  Here is what I see as the problem, maybe not exactly what CAD and Mike were talking about, but nonetheless:

Example One: Add a shared parameter called "Panel Name" and another call "Conduit Run Name" applied to Conduit, Conduit Fittings, and Conduit Runs:

1) The panel name will not pass from the panel to the connecting piece of conduit.  

2) Enter the Panel Name manually on the connecting piece of conduit, it will not pass the info down the conduit run.

3) Tab-select the entire conduit run, enter the Panel Name, does pass the info down to the individual pieces.  Do the same for Conduit Run Name.

4) Toggle a conduit bend to a box, or make any other additions to the conduit run, the Panel Name info we know will not pass down, nor will the Conduit Run Name be added to the new pieces.

Possibly something similar to Systems for duct and pipe could be added for conduit to make this less manual and more automated.

Message 7 of 21
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: dennis

You are correct in that Shared Parameters are not going to pull the Panel Name or Run Name/Number, because they don't have a formula telling them to do so. At this time, only the conduit fittings are user editable families, so you will have to enter the Parameter values manually.

To request a change in functionality, this link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group.

I encourage you to use the feedback link as our Development group is always interested and would like to hear your feedback directly, since you are better suited to state the business case for a feature request.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 8 of 21
vanboon2970

Chris,

I was unable to replicate the steps you took. I made a new shared parameter file, added the new group & parameter, added this in the project paramater and applied it to conduit, conduit run, and conduit fitting. I made sure the types were all the same (common/text group).

I drew the conduit with conduits without fitting. I populated the new text field I added.

For scheduling using multiple, the new field I made shows up with the populated info.

However, when I make a schedule just for conduit run, the field shows up but the data is not populated. I am unable to get any custom parameter to show up in Conduit Run schedules.

Please advise. Using Revit 2013.

Regards,

Van

Message 9 of 21
vanboon2970

I looks like there are two fields for conduit-run (custom parameter) that you have to populate. That is why you are able to have it show up "again" in the conduit run schedule from the multiple qty schedule. But looks like basically there are no shared parameter between conduit/conduit fittings and conduit run except for comments and types. Autodesk PLEASE 🙂 in Revit 2014 maybe??

Message 10 of 21
smbrennan
in reply to: vanboon2970

Van,

Please use the appropriate form that was referenced for requesting a new feature. The biggest problem I have is people wanting changes, but not making an official request that Autodesk tracks.

To make a request, please go here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Spread the word! We'll never get the intelligence we want if we don't ask for it.

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 11 of 21
bnew

What are you using to give you the tabs in Project Browser?

Message 12 of 21
smbrennan
in reply to: bnew

There are no tabs in the Project Browser. There is a tree structure, which can be customized by right clicking on the "Views" parent node, and selecting Browser Organization.

Once you're in there, you can create or edit an existing organization structure.

To define the order you wish for it to be grouped in, simply go to the "Grouping and Sorting" tab, and choose the parameters. Each "Group by" and "Then By" will add another level to your tree.
Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 13 of 21
fabiosato
in reply to: bnew

Hello,

I guess I understood your question, you can get tabs bellow the project browser when you place, for example, properties window and project browser window in the same place.

See the image. 

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
jared.regan

Mikey,

I used to deal with this problem a lot. Our company has created a solution for data in conduits, making sure that data is included in conduits and fittings added to an existing run, but also making it's way up to the conduit run schedule. The link below has more information about the product.

http://gogtp.com/revit-electrical.html

Jared Regan

GTP Services

Message 15 of 21
Rndmann9
in reply to: jared.regan

Interesting, I like it-(GTP)- whats the cost though?  Its sad that Revit still does have this capability internally after all these years of neglect on the electrical side.  After using it for 10 years there has been barely any improvement on that side other than actually having conduit and parallel runs.  When I first started with revit I had to use plumbing pipe because they didn't have conduit in there M"E"P Software.  I have been trying to do something similar using dynamo.  Seems like it should be simple but being able to highlight a run and apply it is proving difficult.  The examples shown are simple.  When you have to manually do this for a 15 story hospital multiple times during a coordination process its beyond irritating. And the request for features seems to be mostly ignored unless your and architect.

Message 16 of 21
dbarbery
in reply to: Rndmann9

Agreed, 

Electrical has always been treated like a Red-Headed step-child when it comes to Autodesk. Why is it that 3rd party programmers can meet our needs by the dozens if we are willing to pay out the nose for their services. Autodesk can't even get a single conduit to maintain parameters through a single run, let alone allow shared or project parameters to report to conduit run schedules. The more I use Autodesk products for Electrical, the more I consider changing careers. It's clunky and thinks like an Engineer, not an Electrician.  And seriously Revit Dev team.. How difficult is it to get a decent set of hangers for your users?  You did this in Autocad MEP... why not Revit?  Will we have to wait 20 years for that little tidbit too or pay outrageous prices for 3rd party software because you can't provide us with reasonable and arguably standard tools?

We've been begging for tools for years, but the Dev. Team is deaf to our cries. But look, we have new useless Architectural tools in the 2018 release my team will never use... 

Revit = Resise it, and retype it. Over and over and over and over...

Message 17 of 21
dc
Enthusiast
in reply to: dbarbery

I use Revit to integrate AV designs as linked models into the linked project environment. Aside from the information required by the AV installer, the industry expects AV conduit and device box networks to be fully documented with plans and schedules for installation by the electrician. AV conduits need some parameters for scheduling:

From (device) ID

To (device) ID

trade size

material (EMT, burial, etc.)

count

length (nice to have for estimating)

wire count

wire type (audio, video, controls, etc.)

and, because of our rules about mutual EMI, group (A for Audio, C for Intercom, D for Data, etc.).

Right now, I don't use Revit's conduits because I can't see how to get that info into the pipe, let alone pass it on the connected device boxes. I use one-ended conduits of my own design, but I have to use specialized schedules to aggregate information for manual entry into connected device boxes. As a tiny operation, I get no price breaks on this software, so I'm grumpy about not getting what should be a simple bit of programming for a genius at Autodesk.

Message 18 of 21
dbarbery
in reply to: dc

Agreed,

Seems like it should be simple, but for some reason, the MEP trades are at
the back of the line again. We should get a discount since the software is
not ready for us, even though it is being pushed upon us by Architects and
Autodesk.

So frustrating.

Message 19 of 21
SdinizF

Here I am some years later and it's still not possible to transfer conduit parameters to conduit runs.

I want to schedule the runs separately and add parameters to count the number of wires and sizes that pass through the run, calculating the total length of wires of the project.

Message 20 of 21
fabiosato
in reply to: SdinizF

Hello,

The only parameter you can use is the Comments, when you fill it in the conduit, the corresponding conduit run have the same value.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report