Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the length on an object

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mjlutz
406 Views, 2 Replies

Changing the length on an object

I am migrating from the 2D world of Visio to the 3D world of Revit and have a question on the family properties of an RFA file.  I need to be able to change the length of this object from any value in feet starting at 2’ and going up to 20’.  I am not sure how to setup the parameter for the length that would allow me be to do this. 

See the attached file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
L.Maas
in reply to: mjlutz

Attached a quick example of your family (Revit 2015).

In your family you have an imported Autocad file. Dimensions of those can not be controlled with parameters.

Therefore you have to redraw them in Revit. I created an extrusion, basically by drawing over the autocad model (picking the lines).

Please note that detail/lines shorter than 0.8 mm revit can not handle.

After creating the extrusion I added parameters and reference lines to control the length.

I also setup some constraints so that length will be between 2 and 20'

Extrusion.png

After creating the extrusion I deleted the autocad import (not needed anymore).

Also note that (lots) of imported autocad files will start to hit on the performance of Revit.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 3
mjlutz
in reply to: L.Maas

Enlit,

This is prefet!  Do you have any suggestions on how I can focus on fopcus on how to redraw an imported CAD file like this?  I would like to come up to speed on making this a happen on a few other items like the one you did.  

Thank you very much.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report