Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing pipe to duct

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
abulla
1663 Views, 4 Replies

Changing pipe to duct

We had a unique situation pop up recently:

We're doing some laser scanning to point cloud to Revit model work with an outside consultant. They scan the building and convert the point cloud data to Revit objects, then we go and connect all the MEP systems.

The problem we're encountering is the scanning team (mainly architects) are converting what should be a duct into a pipe. Not that I'm blaming them, if an architect sees a big round pipe-looking object in the scan, they're likely to convert it to a pipe unless they happen to pick up a label in the scan that says otherwise.

So we're having to go back into the model and basically re-create all the converted pipe into duct. My question is, does anyone know of a way, add-ins, workarounds, to convert already modeled pipe into duct. I don't think it can be done, but our bosses don't like that answer.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: abulla

At this time, I don't believe there is a way to convert pipes to ducts once they are drawn.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 5
Sandleaz

If the architects are responsible for giving you a somewhat accurate model, then it's their fault entirely. You can't blame the laser scanner machines for this. Pretty big screw up in my opinion. They should at least try to verify with existing drawings or engineers whether or not they were seeing round ducts or pipes.
Message 4 of 5
bertocchi.1

I am having the same problem. I have to redraw them all 😞

Message 5 of 5
agraj.sobti

That sounds like an insane idea, to model an entire building using scanning techniques. Mindblown! By the way I am having the same issue right now. Probably would have to model the entire duct from scratch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report