Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes that would make Revit MEP a better plumbing software

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
436 Views, 5 Replies

Changes that would make Revit MEP a better plumbing software

Revit MEP2009, as it pertains to plumbing, is a much improved software from its 2008 version. I am currently designing a project using MEP2009. This software still has it's problems designing piping systems. The major problem is still the "Auto Path" function. If I use this function the software still does not know how to connect fixtures. The results of using auto path on sanitary results in several code violations. This needs to be corrected if we are to use the software as designed. If I am designing manually, I am doing nothing more than smart drafting. And after a day of manually connecting the fixtures properly, I feel somewhat less than smart. Why? Because my productivity is non-existant. Autodesk needs to modify the software to do the job correctly. Examples; Every fixture needs to be vented. 99% of all fixtures require a P-Trap. These should be automatically inserted using the auto path function. Also, the proper fittings should be inserted automatically. If the people at Autodesk do not know what fittings are required to connect a fixture to a sanitary system, or any other system for that matter, I would be happy to upload drawings. As far as the interface, it could be a little more user friendly. For example, the zoom command icon requires a pulldown menu to get what you want. Pulldown menus are a pain in the butt. I want to hit an icon ONCE to do what I want. It seems like a small thing however, the more clicks of the mouse, the less productive I am and less irritated. The view wheel is a bust. Simply put those icons on the toolbar. If I want to pan, I do not want to have to pull up a wheel and screw around with that. Just give me the icons. The construction documents side of the software really needs work. I may become the greatest plumbing designer in 3D modeling however, that means nothing if at the end of the day, I cannot produce an excellent set of construction documents. Autodesk needs to really put some effort in improving this software so that when a project is submitted, the client would have no way of knowing if the construction documents were created with Revit or Autocad. As of today, they would definitely know the difference. It's like comparing drawings that were drawn with a sharp pencil and a crayon. I have more suggestions but, I do not what to sound like I am simply complaining. I'm not. I just want this software to do what it is supposed to do. I enjoy every minute I am using the software, even with its shortcomings. I have been a big fan of 3D modeling for years. Please Autodesk, fix your software and make my life easier.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
abulla
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree with you as far as the auto layout for plumbing being horribly broken.

As far as zooming and panning... check out the keyboard shortcuts and use the scroll wheel.

ZR = zoom region
ZE = zoom extents

Hold the scroll wheel down to pan. Shift while holding the scroll wheel rotates in 3d views.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks for the tip! I will always prefer a 1 hit of an icon, however, your tip will help very much. Thanks again.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

well you could always add the p-trap to fixtures before hand, as in the AU example here

http://au.autodesk.com/ama/images/media/AU2008-LAV_WALL-MNT_01.rfa

As far as getting revit to understand plumbing code of any sort would be an answer to many many people's prayers, but in all this wishing does nothing to actually fix the problem, so my suggestion is to spend some time to come up with general layouts that occur and make the rough in's for the sample project layouts as per local code, group them for future reference so you only have to layout with the least amount of time in redundancy once working back in real projects.

As far as the wheel, I am not an icon man myself, I like keystrokes from old school cadding, but creating macros in API and using the keyboard shortcuts to their full potential does cut down on the constant mouse scrolling (ribbon, why aren't you here now)

if you have a middle click button on your mouse, don't forget its the fastest way to pan/zoom/orbit (mbutton pans, Ctrl+mbutton or mbutton scroll zooms, and Shift+mbutton orbits in 3d)

I can't wait for years in the future when all a laymen needs to build his dream house is a couple of mouse clicks, then where will we be getting work? Personally I like that you do have to know what the project should look like, less of an abstraction than cad is anyway. The underlying issue is lack of content, just like back in the early days of cad.

Edited by: Mitsunobu1337 on Apr 14, 2009 3:34 AM Edited by: Mitsunobu1337 on Apr 14, 2009 3:37 AM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

What I've done is open a typical sink, edit its family by adding a p-trap and double wye in the proper locations. Where you would have pipe connecting the fittings just draw a solid form - solid extrusion. Then for your new sanitary connection, make that at the bottom connection of the wye fitting, and finally the top of the wye fitting will be for your vent connection.

Maybe this will help a few of you.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I tried that however, when I connected pipe to it in the model, it would not become part of the system. What am I doing wrong?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report