Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change parameter that don't show up in family types dialog

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
HVAC-Novice
2107 Views, 5 Replies

change parameter that don't show up in family types dialog

I want to lock paramters in the family type dialog (in family editor) and know how to do that (with quotation etc.). the problem I have is that many type paramters that show up in the "type-properties" window don't show up in the "family type" window.

for example, taking a window family I want to make the manufacturer and model the same for all sizes. So for each size i create a new type. the problem is that the "model" and "manufacturer" type property don't show up in the family editor. How can I make that show up in family editor? Or how can I lock them in the type-properties window? I tried the quotation mark locking, but that didn't help.

A workaround I used to use is to create one type and set all parameters and then duplicate that one and only change what is different for each type. In case of windows that woudl be the size. Problem is when  I change the manufacturer later I need to go through each type and change it manually (actually i can change it in the schedule too).

I have the same problem with other families, for lighting etc. Teh windows are just an example.

Revit version: R2024.2
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: HVAC-Novice

In order to abolish the Type Catalog (.txt file) and bring the Types back into a Family, start a new project and load the family and all of its Types into it. In the Project Browser, find the Family, right-click on it and select "Save". The new Family file will contain all of the loaded Types.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I tried to do that, but this doesn't seem to change what type parameters I can adjjust. Thanks for your help anyway.

I attached the family type and type property window to better explain what I mean.

As you see in the "type proeprties" there are many parameters (model, manufacturer, URL) but they don't show up in the "family types" window where i can manipulate them. I would like to lock them (with "") so that each type has the smae manufacturer etc.

Is there a way to make all type proeprties show up in "family types", or is there a way to manipulate them in the "type properties"? My objective right now is to jsut lock them, but I may need to do other things to.

I think it has to do with the paramters that originally came from Autodesk for that family (in most cases i use an existing family and jsut add or manipulate parameters as needed - like i did with U-value, SHGC etc.) I don't want to creat a completely new family from scratch - not when it is soemthing that is readily available like like windows or light fixtures.

(I know this sounds like an architecture problem, but the same holds true for light fixtures where I specify manufacturer, URL etc.)

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

By default (in the newer versions), the "Identity Data" Parameter Group is collapsed. Click on the header of a Parameter Group to collapse or expand it.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
HVAC-Novice
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Oh, great. thanks... I'm such an idiot for not figurring this out myself.No wonder google and any other searches gave me a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

Don't feel too bad - two of my co-workers missed that, too. And then learning this prompted a couple forehead slaps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report