Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Family Host Type

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
CoreyDaun
23156 Views, 17 Replies

Change Family Host Type

A co-worker of mine has found and downloaded a cache of electrical Revit Families. However, all of them require a Wall as a host. We download and link in the architectural models on all projects so we actually have no "walls" to host to, just a link object. I am not about to Copy/Monitor all of the walls in a project so we can utilize these families. Does anyone know if the family host object can be altered?

Thanks

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
dennis
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Setup a dummy project with with a few walls.  Then place all the downloaded equipment that requires a wall host.  Save and exit.  Then start a mep project and link in your other dummy project.  Use the copy/monitor feature to grab the electrcial equipment.  The equipment will be brought into your project and converted to 'face-based' elements.  Then, you can 'edit family' and save them into your library.

One gotcha that I know of: multiple types within the same family MAY NOT come thru with the copy/monitor, so you may need to place each type separately in the dummy project.

Message 3 of 18
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dennis

That's a good one. And with only a couple of hoops to jump through. I suppose the same would work for translating a ceiling based family to a face based. So Revit does have the ability and functionality to convert these families, but it is not directly available to the user.

Thank you. All of these nice work-arounds could be combined into a manual, maybe larger than the Revit User's Manual!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 18
dennis

Yep, works for ceiling based, wall based, floor based, etc based

Message 5 of 18
asommer

What versions (year) of Revit does that work with? I know 2012 has Copy Monitor option for Fixtures, but does it work for 2011?
Message 6 of 18
dennis
in reply to: asommer

2011 and 2012 both have the Copy/Monitor of MEP items. 

Message 7 of 18
CoreyDaun
in reply to: asommer

2012 is the only way since Copy/Monitor for equipment, fixtures, and devices is new. Many of the families we have downloaded are for Revit 2010 and 2011 projects, so in all of those cases we are still stuck.

Message 8 of 18
dennis

I have run into problems with some of the arch's MEP items because they were catagorized as "Generic Models".  I had to go into the arch model and change the catagory to something MEP, such as "Mechanical Equipment", "Electrical Device" or "Plumbing FIxture".  After that they come in fine, even if they were older content from earlier releases.

Message 9 of 18
CoreyDaun

My mistake, 2011 works too.

Message 10 of 18
mterry2019
in reply to: dennis

Do you have to do this for every project or is this something that you have to do only once on a single object so you can use that object on multiple projects?

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 18
CoreyDaun
in reply to: mterry2019

Once you export or save the new family to a file, you can load it in any project you like.

Message 12 of 18
jmee6979

Hi, i'm a newbie in revit. I'm using revit achitecture 2013. I need to convert wall/hosted family into face based ones. Please guide me step by step to do this. I tried it but I seem to fail on the copy/monitor step because i cannot grab the families on my dummy link.

help???

Thank you so much.

Message 13 of 18
CoreyDaun
in reply to: jmee6979

The fastest method is to use Batch Copy to Copy/Monitor all of the fixtures at once, which I will walk you through here. The following assumes that you have already linked the 'dummy' project into a new project.

1. Go to Collaborate tab » Copy Monitor ▼ Select Link, and then click on the linked Revit Model.

2. Click on "Coordination Settings", which is located on the ribbon.

3 In the following dialog, select the appropriate Category(ies) on the left.

4. Then, on the right, change 'Copy Behavior' to "Allow batch copy", and click 'Save & Close'.

5. Now click on "Batch Copy", which is located on the ribbon.

6. A message titled "Fixtures Found" will appear; just click "Copy the Fixtures."

7. Another message should follow regarding the Levels; just click "Continue Copying fixtures."

8. It should Revit a moment to process this, but then click on "Finish" on the Ribbon to finalize the process.

⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗
Welcome to the Autodesk forums, jmee6979!
Feel free to post any questions you may have! There are many experienced users here who generously contribute their time and effort to supporting
their peers. This is an open, peer-supported forum, so feel free to contribute any useful information or experiences to any of the topics you see here.
We hope you'll stick around a while and help strengthen the value of this community!
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Be sure to review the Ground Rules, visit the FAQ Forum, and use the Search feature prior to posting a question, as it's likely been asked before.
⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗⸗

Message 14 of 18
jmee6979

Hi Cory! Thank you for your detailed response. Appreciate it. However, I'm lost after the first step. Smiley Sad I didn't find the coordination settings on the ribbon. What I found on the riboon after clicking the revit link are the copy/monitor modify tools.

Help?! Thanks again. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
CoreyDaun
in reply to: jmee6979

I know you said that you're using Revit Architecture 2013, but I only have MEP and can't really verify this. I thought that they might be similar enough, but apparently not. Perhaps the best course of action is to post a question about C/M in the Revit Architecture forum.
Message 16 of 18
tkendrick

Kudos!

I just found this procedure in a blog post yesterday. Works great!

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 17 of 18
CrazedEngineer

Awesome!  The copy/monitor worked great! 

Message 18 of 18

I wanted to ad that if you have a windows family that you want to convert you will have problems with described method. You simply can not select a wallbased family of the window category with copy monitor.

If you set the category to an Electrical Fixture family you can select the family and the described method works great.

After the conversion to face based you can set the category back to window.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report