Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central File

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
althrash3
871 Views, 16 Replies

Central File

My office is attempting to complete our first Revit project. We've set up our central file and we have a mechanical designer and a plumbing designer synching back to the central file each day. We've just received our first updated plan from the architect? How do I replace the existing central file with the new one without losing any of out MEP information?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
RedMan77
in reply to: althrash3

If I understand you right and not way off base you should have the arch plan linked in.  If you go to Manage Links (Manage Tab), click on the revit tab.  Your old, out-dated revit arch plan should be visible  Highlught the old file.  There should be a button on the bottom that says Reload From.  It will prompt you for the location of where the new updated file is.  If you have Copy/Monitor'd elements a dialog box saying  a Coordination review is in order.  Your central file should only be effected if something changes in the Arch model and items are Copy/Monitor'd. 

Message 3 of 17
althrash3
in reply to: RedMan77

No. We were under the impression we needed to have a central file for our office. We didn't use a link. I'm not sure what the difference is. I think I understand the link to be similar to an Autocad xref, but i'm not sure how that differs from the central file. We are new to this program and are staying fairly confused at all times....

Message 4 of 17
RedMan77

Link is the same thing.  It can be loaded, unloaded, binded and so on.  Your central file is different than other disciplines central file.  Each discipline wil have their own central file providing folks are working in Revit.  Then each user in your office will have a local .  In almost all cases you will link in other discipline's models, be they CAD or revit.  As long as each user is synchronizing and saving back to central your central file will always be updating and displaying the latest changes.  If you Copy Monitor, lets say floor plan levels, if the arch moves those then a Coordinate review dialog box will pop up stating things have changed.

Message 5 of 17
asommer

I highly recommend "Linking" the Arch Model to your file.  The Architect has a Central file, and so should you.  There is no way otherwise to update the Architectural model.  Hopefully you hadn't done too much work on it!  We set up the files just as Cadmancan said.  Yes, it is very similar to an Autocad X-Ref.

The Central file thing comes up when you turn on the "Worksets".  It changes the file to a "Central" file, you "Save as" local files out of this.  The worksets are a way for the central file to know what the local files are doing and allows multiple users to access the same file.  When you syncronize to central, you are updating the central with the changes you made in your local.  It will not let you change something that someone else changed, until they syncronize, relinquished the items they "Borrowed", and you reload or syncronize.

There is a LOT more, sorry I can't go any deeper.  Good Luck.

Message 6 of 17
RedMan77

This a difficult topic to fully explain in a forum and there are still many aspects I dont have down fully.  I would go to www.au.autodesk.com and there are several online classes for Revit.  Its free to sign-up.  Click on the link "Online Classes" and it gives you a seach engine to find the kind of classes you need and class materials to download.  Revit Arch classes will have far more classes on this subject of worksharing.  Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 17
dahandfull-AU

+1 to the above post, it is quite involved, but there are a few 'rules' to keep in mind.

- We have an 'MEP Central' model in which a few drafters can create 'Local Models' of the 'MEP Central Model' to work from

- Within the MEP Central model, we have linked into it the various external party models requied - ie; architectural model, structural model, interior model, etc.

- The external models are 'linked' into our 'MEP Central Model' and can be updated at any time.

make sence? 

Message 8 of 17
althrash3

Ok.. Forgive me for being slow to comprehend..

Right now this is what we have:

We received the arch model. We saved it out and created the central file. We copied the central out to make locals. We drew on our locals and synchronized back to central. Now, we have a new plan from the arch. Do we simply find a "pick point", erase the old model and insert the new manualy? That is not how I'm understanding Revit wants it to happen.

So...

What procedures should I have taken to set up a new project?

I understand our local drawings update to the central. But that is just our Plumbing, HVAC, etc. Our firm only concentrates on mechanincal. Therefor, when we receive a plan from the arch via email, it has to be updated on our plan. Should we link the arch plan into our central?

Message 9 of 17
RedMan77

No worries about asking more questions.  Did you make your central from the arch model?  If thats the case that wouldnt be correct.  Go to manage tab, manage link button , the manage links dialog box will appear.  Go to the the revit tab, load the arch model.  When ever you get an update you can click on the "upload from" button and browse to the updated arch model.  You central file is what you draw in but the arch model will be linked in.

Is there any steps I am missing to the rest that are monitoring the discussion?

Message 10 of 17
RedMan77
Message 11 of 17
asommer

The Cadmancan is Right on.  You can do this a couple of ways.  You can create a new central file (Blank), LINK in the arch file, and copy your mep content into the new central file.    OR...     Use your current central file, and DELETE all architectural items from your central file.  I would recommend the first, however you may have trouble with Families being Hosted to architectural walls and ceilings.  This is another sore subject you will find out about soon enough.  How big is the project, and how far have you gone on it?

Message 12 of 17
althrash3
in reply to: asommer

I tried the 2nd option.. Deleting all architectual content (Didn't work out so well). I believe for this project, I may bypass the central file. I may simply open a new project, link in the arch plan, and try to insert my mechanical objects. The building is a 2 story addition/renovation to an existing civic center. We are roughly 35% complete. The deadline has pushed up to next week.

I believe I understand the central and local files now. I just wasnt sure where to link the drawing to. For future reference, I should start a blank central file, link the arch file to the central, save out locals from the central, and draw on the locals. When we receive new plans from the arch, I should open the central file and reload the new arch plan as the current link file...?

I really appreciate the help guys. I've been reading through tutorials and a couple of text books. Reading the responses here are always more benefical.

Message 13 of 17
RedMan77

I have permanent flat spot on my forehead due to the repeated beating of  my head against the desk in complete frustration while under a strict guidline and learning the program at the same time.  There isnt much out there in the way of electric but that is changing.  With that being said, the perserverance has more than paid off and now my company is seeing the benefits of the program.  Now that Revit has many features that are benefical to electrical companies I am really enjoying this program.  revit is where the future is at.  Good Luck in your endeavors.

Message 14 of 17
dahandfull-AU

When you talk about 'your' central model that you are working in, are you talking about the Arch central, or your MEP central model???

Message 15 of 17
althrash3

My central is the MEP Central. We are not connected to the arch's central.

Message 16 of 17
asommer

I'm working on my 4th Keyboard because the others saw a violent death by my hand.  I have the Revit scars, too.  It is a "Video Game" to sit down with and play for hours before you pass the next mission.  It is worth it in the long run.  Keep at it.

Message 17 of 17
Martin__Schmid

Here's a quick video of the process of starting with an Arch model, and creating your own MEP model

http://revit.downloads.autodesk.com/download/RMEContent/BasicProjectSetup2010/index.html

From 2010, but still very much the same.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report