Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceilings in linked models

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Elvis_DDA
289 Views, 4 Replies

Ceilings in linked models

I have a problem with a linked ceiling model. I seem to be able to mount a default lighting fixture to it, but only if I select place on face. When I try and mount a lighting fixture, which I have created with a linear ceiling based template, it won't take it. The same fixture can however be placed when I draw a ceiling in. Is it because working on a linked ceiling plan is a bad idea, or should I been copying it over to my MEP model? Then again, is it because the default lighting is not ceiling based, but face based?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
weingartenj
in reply to: Elvis_DDA

Working with a linked ceiling is a bad idea. You just can't host a ceiling based element to a linked model's ceiling. MEP sees the arch ceiling as a face only. The way to go (for now) is face based content. I would not create any ceiling based content only face based. Use face based content and workplanes when doing lighting. Host the fixtures to the workplane. If you host to the linked ceiling and the architects delete that ceiling, it usually creates an obscene amount of work, because the fixtures scatter and rotate for some reason.
Message 3 of 5
Elvis_DDA

Sounds like a good idea, will try it like that from now on.

What template do you use for face based lighting? I don't have one for lighting, just generic. If I use generic, how do I put the light source in etc.? I'm still pretty new to this.
Message 4 of 5
weingartenj

Use the generic. Go to the Settings pull down and select family category and parameters. then select Lighting Fixtures. While doing that, Review the content creation tutorials. That should get you on your way.
Message 5 of 5
Elvis_DDA

Thanks for that, I've learned something there. Until you mentioned it, I thought it only determined which menu on the design bar it appeared on. I think I'll be using the generic on most things now. I remember the list now from the tutorials that guide you what category to use.

Thanks again, great help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report