Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make type error

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1258 Views, 2 Replies

Can't make type error

Revit's method of error handling is unlike that of any program I've encountered. Unlike autocad, solidworks, 3ds max, photoshop, visual basic, and so on indefinitely, Revit arbitrarily refuses to perform tasks WITHOUT EXPLANATION.

Presently I'm struggling with the "Can't make type" error regarding a custom family of fan-powered parallel VAV boxes. I could give a detailed description of elements which may have triggered this problem, but I would like it if first someone could just give me some more information about this error.

Revit: "Can't make type"
User: "What? Why not?"
Revit: "Guess."
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I solved my problem, though I can't pretend to understand how it came to be in the first place. For the reference of those who may find themselves in a similar position, I will post my solution here.

1. I copied the family in question and renamed the copied file with a 2 after the name. In this way, I could really get in and destructively experiment to discover the problem.
2. I deleted all the geometry and drew a box (the basis of the VAV box I was building) and added the length, width, and height parameters, which had maintained their values from the original family when I copied it.
3. Upon loading the family, I still got an error.
4. I deleted sections of parameters at a time, attempting to load the family into the project after each try, and found that by deleting all the parameters in the "dimensions" group, I prevented the problem.
5. I began deleting single variables in the dimensions group, and then realized that the problem could have been caused my any number of parameters. Sure enough, deleting the Unit Length and Unit Width parameters solved the problem.

Why?

Because when I deleted them, it came up with a warning box saying that the parameters being deleted were used in two dimensions (I had only used each one once). To prove this, I again deleted all the geometry, and then deleted those two parameters, which warned me that each was being used by a single dimension/array, even though there was no geometry at all. Whatever illusive value was using those parameters, it was acting at the broomstick in my spokes.
6. Since I couldn't find where those parameters were being used, I created two new parameters of the same name but in all lower case letters, and assigned values as such:

unit length = Unit Length
unit height = Unit Height

Next I hit apply, cleared the formulas, then hit apply again. I also looked for other formulas which used those parameters, such as:

Attenuator Height = Unit Height

and replaced the soon-to-be-deleted parameters with the new ones, like so:

Attenuator Height = unit height

Then replaced the dimensions in which I had used those parameters with the new, lower-cased versions. At this point, nothing that I needed was using the original Unit Length and Unit Height.
7. Knowing that deleting the original parameters would remove them from those phantom dimensions, I deleted Unit Height and Unit Length.
8. Next I renamed unit height as Unit Height and unit length as Unit Length, so that everything looked exactly as it had before.

And then it all worked. I used this method in the original family, and it worked there as well.

I do hope that this is helpful to someone.
Message 3 of 3
arcticad
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank You.

I found if you have a parameter length with a value of 0. it will give the same error.

Even if the Dimension is not being used by anything.
---------------------------

(defun botsbuildbots() (botsbuildbots))

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report